Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Spluttering Spray Gun

I'm having problems with my (new) spray gun. It's a cheapo venturi pick-up type. Using it on a 40L compressor with a built-in regulated outlet. I've set it for 60psi but can't get a consistent spray from it. It's almost like the pressure is not constant - but the air on it's own seems steady enough. When I add fluid, it starts to splutter, which results in a patchy coverage. It does this even with just thinners and no finish.

Any ideas? Do you think I need to get a proper regulator?
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."

Are you putting enough liquid in the pot?
    Ive had them where if you only put a small ammount in the pot it splutters.

Al

That's one thing I didn't think of. I'm putting about 200ml in, which is all I usually put in my old gun. I'll try it with a bit more in it tonight...
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."

Also check all the internal feed lines/mechanisms (in the spray gun) are clean and not partially blocked somewhere along the feed chain.
    How much wood could the woodchuck chuck if the woodchuck could chuck wood?

Default Thufferin' thuccotash!

Well, thufferin' thuccotasth, my thpray gunth' thplutterin'! Thorry, I'll try to restrain myself.
    Darren,
    if, like Al suggests you need to top it up to get it to work then perhaps the pick up tube is too short (you never know with an el-cheapo). Remove the pot and invert the gun, dribble some thinners down the pick up. If it still splutters the problem is in the gun. If it doesn't then either the pick up is too short, the air hole is blocked or missing or the pick up is sucking in false air. That little air hole in the top of the pot (sometimes with a bit of tube attached) is vitally important. If it's blocked then you are trying to suck paint out of a sealed pot. When working with any fast drying finish (ie lacquer) this hole often gets blocked just from the liquid sloshing around inside during use and getting up in the hole. I usually put my finger over the end of the gun and pull the trigger, this forces air back down into the pot and clears the breather hole. I'ts not a good habit I know, I should probably keep a pin or needle handy to clear it instead.

Just reread your post, 60psi might be too low a pressure for the gun to work properly. I have one gun that performs beautifully at 35 - 40 psi ( a cheapish-$90 copy of a well known brand) and a CIG Arnold gun which requires about 80psi. Put some thinners in and slowly crank the pressure up whilst trying the gun. Obviously you will need more pressure when spraying your finish as it will be thicker than just thinners.

Mick
    "If you need a machine today and don't buy it,

tomorrow you will have paid for it and not have it."

- Henry Ford 1938

Well, thufferin' thuccotasth, my thpray gunth' thplutterin'!
    Scary isn't it? That's exactly what was going through my mind when I wrote the subject line

OK guys, I'll try all that stuff out and see what happens. I did check the breather hole and a couple of other things on the gun. They said 60 psi in the manual but I could play around with it and see what happens.

It's weird, it's like it's pulsing. The finish comes out in spurts, as if the gun is having trouble getting enough air through, which is what made me suspect the regulator might be playing up.

Thanks for the tips one and all....

Another thing is your regulator registering correctly.

The main cause of "spluttering" is................

The nut where the the needle runs. It comes loose, air leaks through the seal and you guessed it, splutter. Tighten it and in most cases problem fixed.

HTH.

Quote Originally Posted by
    The main cause of "spluttering" is................

The nut where the the needle runs.
    I thought you were going to say, the nut on the end of the gun!!!!!!!!

Al

or the loose nut on the keyboard
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

HMMMM Sometimes

Quote Originally Posted by echnidna
    or the loose nut on the keyboard
    Now come on echnidna, you need to have a higher opinion of your self.

Al

some guns use a leather/fibre washer to seal the needle to the outside atmosphere with a small cupped nut to secure it. A drop of oil on the leather usually works and snug the nut up just enough so the needle still moves when the trigger is depressed. This problem drove me nuts for ages until I finally deciphered the "Engrish" instructions.
    I like cats but I couldn't eat a whole one :

Quote Originally Posted by
    The nut where the the needle runs
    I will f#$%ing kick myself if that's what it is. I took that off to clean it and noted to myself at the time that it was a bit tight.

Maybe I should use some teflon tape on it

BTW You're all so bloody funny