Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Creasote & linsead for pine, klinky ? and teak

We have a 1960's timber house.

It has a flat roof covered in riverstone and is supported by large creasote soaked timbers. Many areas are fine and according to the old owner/builder have been untouched for 40 years. The roof overhangs and is lined with "klinky?" and where maintained has been replaced with marine ply. The inside ceiling is also "kiliky?" and the walls burmeese teak vaneer or redwood with a darkish stain

SO

a) In areas where the creasote beams are showing age can I simply slap on creasote? If not what is the best mix

b) This klinky/marine ply is also looking dryed out in places. Should I use linsead oil and turps. My Estonian father says that I should add pine tar or similar.

c) what should I treat the burmeese teak and redwood with

Default maybe I asked too many questions

Any suggestions on what I should do to maintain my creasote soaked beams?

Richard,

A lack of reply means everyone is waiting for someone else to give advice because they don't feel qualified enough. On rare occasions it means no-one even has a clue.

Perhaps a post in the DIY forum would point you to some restorers that have run accross this, or links to other sites that can help.

Hang in there - some in cyberspace will point the way

*hint * try google-ing for Creosote as an alternate spelling.
    Info on creosote from AusPine
    Last edited by DaveInOz; 17th September 2004 at 03:53 PM.
    Great minds discuss ideas,
    average minds discuss events,
    small minds discuss people

Quote Originally Posted by Zrichard
    Any suggestions on what I should do to maintain my creasote soaked beams?
    Run, after you have read this article.

Al :eek:

Quote Originally Posted by ozwinner
    Hmmm...very useful Al! If I may quote verbatim:
    Eating large amounts of creosote (any form) may cause a burning in the mouth and throat and stomach pains.
    My experience with creosote is such that a pinhed size drop on any part of the anatomy WILL cause burning and blistering....I can't imagine anyone living long enough to eat any!!

Zrichard,

At the risk of being flamed to a frazzle , your house was obviously designed by a high-profile architect and probably has some value simply because of that...kind of like a vintage car.

Not being a Sydney bloke, I don't know if Ancher Mortlock are still in business, but it shouldn't be too hard to track down whatever is left of the firm or it's new evolution, you may even find an wizened old has-been (like me) who was a junior draftsman in the company at the time the house was done, and who would be interested in providing advice as to how to maintain the integrity of the original design.

If you can't get them from the phone book, try contacting the RAIA (Royal Australian Institute of Architects).. Treat the project seriously like a restoration of any old house of value.

As for the creosote: take advice from the architects, I assume there aren't too many corpses in the place and it's been there for nearly 50 years thus far.

It would be shame to make a mistake for lack of proper advice, and notwithstanding all the skills available on this board, advice on something like this from a three paragraph description isn't "proper.

If you want a hand to track down someone sympathetic to your cause, send me a PM and I'll make a few calls.

In the meantime, don't eat lots of creosote!

Cheers,

P

Hard day at the office Midge?

Al :confused:

ok will folllow your advice.

Not being in the game I was not sure if this type of thing was standard.

<!--StartFragment -->It was designed by Mortlock (1961) of Ancher Mortlock and Murray.

I understand that he passed away a few months ago.

As I understand it the firm became Ancher Mortlock and Wolley at some stage. They also seem to have bone homes simillar to ours during the 60's.

Wolley runs a tour of Sydney style architecture every month or so. I will go along and see what this turn up.

Thanks for the advice.

Richard