Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Irony

Default Irony

Well, I'm breathing again, painfully.
    Today I decided to fix a safety concern with my new (for me, thanks Darrylf ) tablesaw. The problem was no splitter was fitted. I admit I used it lots with no incident. So today I routed a slot in the outfeed table to allow the splitter to be fitted and proceeded to fit it. Easy, neat and great until I tried to tilt the blade. So starts mk2. Routed a much wider slot, I did. Now it tilts to about 30degrees. More routing and we're getting close to what we wants. Good enough. Now for a feather board, says me to meself. Cuts the angle makes a safe holding jig, cuts the fingers of the featherboard, beautiful.
    Hang on says me, this last feather is way too thin and will end up breaking off. No problem we'll just rip it off. So through she goes, when bang bloody ouch I've got a kickback; the feather board thumps me fair in the chest and drops me like a sack of spuds. Literally can't breath, not at all start to panic thinking I've bloody copped that right on the heart, wondering if I'm having a heart attack. It hit me flattish(ly) but still drew blood for six inches across me chest. Lump over me sternum. Pharque it scared me.
    Why did it happen?
    Well, somehow while trying to tilt the blade I think the motor pushed against the outfeed table and moved the mounting about half a millimetre just enough to cause the blade ( which was exactly perfect this morning) to resaw enough to throw the job at me.
    How ironic, making safety bits and it has a tantrum. Should just have carried on without any splitter or guard. The worst part will be when SWMBO finds out, which she will as it is gonna bruise like a basterd.
    Tried to fix the alignment of the blade with the table again, but hurts too much, so having computer time instead drinking a beer cause I still have all me fingers and perhaps the dust extractor was sucking just hard enough to stop it hitting me in the face. Then I'd would have been in hospital.
    Thank you to which ever wood god saved me.
    Ahhh shed time.I always get nervous when things go too easily and today was no exception.
    The worst part is I was trying completely out of character to be safety conscious.
    Cheers
    Jim

"I see dumb peope!"

Glad that you're ok mate - it's almost as if the Wood Gods were saying "This is why you need a splitter or riving knife"

Sorry to hear it mate - thankfullt it's not major. Funny that not so long ago I was reading posts about kickback being myth???

I hope it makes you feel a bit better that you've managed to put a smile on my dial - kickback while making safety improvements.... clasical

This is why it is a good idea to wear bicycle clips on the trousers when sawing - less cleanup to do when things go awry.

Glad to hear you're ok, don't forget to paint a little man on the side of the saw.

keep your shirt on for a week mate!
    Zed

JIm, what can I say? Maybe this greenie will help in your anguish.

Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturdee
    JIm, what can I say?
    Maybe this greenie will help in your anguish

Peter.
    Al

Jim,

Sorry to hear of your mishap with kickback. Having had an argument with my table-saw about a month ago (which the saw won - but my finger has now healed well), I can smpathise. I didn't really understand your explanation of the cause of your kickback, but I remember a vicious incident some years ago, when a thin triangular stick was kicked back and almost went right through the plywood panel on my garage door; I shudder to think what would have happened if it had it me in the stomach. I was following a procedure with an auxiliary fence recommended in an old FW article when it happened; never again! Ever since that time, when making a rip cut with the blade tilted to the right, I always have the fence on the left-hand side of the blade, so that the offcut piece is not trapped between the blade and the fence.

Rocker

Good to learn you weren't seriously hurt, Jim. Sympathy greenie on the way.

(While you're recovering, give a thought to the RITFOTU - the VLGI has a new and interesting quartermaster )
    Driver of the Forums
    Lord of the Manor of Upper Legover

Geez Jim, glad you're are o.k.

Now write out 50 times:

I will stand to the side of the blade.

Sympathy greenie from me too.

Quote Originally Posted by ozwinner
    Al

Al, I think that greenie would add to his anguish. I'd give you one for that but I couldn't stand seeing that pic twice.

Peter.

Al, I think that greenie would add to his anguish.

Peter.
    Peter

It could have been even more horrible. Al might have posted a pic of Brown the Green :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

(That wasn't an invitation, Al. Max Bygraves was bad enough. Bob Bloody Brown would be a pillock too far).
    Driver of the Forums
    Lord of the Manor of Upper Legover

Quote Originally Posted by Driver
    Peter

It could have been even more horrible. Al might have posted a pic of Brown the Green :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

(That wasn't an invitation, Al. Max Bygraves was bad enough. Bob Bloody Brown would be a pillock too far).

Al :eek:

Quote Originally Posted by Driver

Bob Bloody Brown would be a pillock too far.
    He would make me see red with anger.:mad:

Peter.

He would make me see red with anger.:mad:

Peter.
    Not Max though, he is funny peculiar..

Al