Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Water level indicator for rainwater tank

What is the best way of gauging the water level in a rainwater tank? I have just had a 22,000 litre plastic tank installed, but the installers seem vague about what method should be used to indicate the water level in it. Is there some sort of hand-held electronic device that could detect the level of the water surface? Or should I get them to install a transparent pipe?

Rocker

http://www.yaktek.com.au/products.html

Hopefully, there is something here that will answer your question. I use the Level Devil but my water tank is very small compared to your tank.

Mike

I think someone once mentioned that a stud detector works. If you have one you could try it ... but I wouldn't buy one for that purpose ... might be an urban myth!!

See my reply from an old post through members area an ultrasonic detector is the best way to measure water in a tank this uit is wireless and has receivers in the house that are plugged into a power point for readings

Thanks, Patty; I found an electronic one like you describe called Rain-Alert on the internet. A bit pricey at $169, but probably better than the floats with weights and pulleys.

Rocker

G'day rocker,
    There are alot of different instuments that will give you a level indication.
    Each have their good and bad points.
    For a basic water tank, ultra sonics are complex and from what i have experienced in industry (I'm an Instrument Elect.) will not stand the test of time, especialy a unit worth only $196.
    I regularly have to replace industrial ($5+ grand each) untrasonic level instruments at work that have only lasted 5 years or less.
    The only tanks that that I never have to worry about are the ones fitted with pressure transmitters.
    It is simple system and apart from tapping points blocking up it never stuffs up.
    -Blockages won't be a drama with a rain water tank unless you fill it full of slurry?
    Using the pressure of the water in the tank will give an accurate level/height once you set it up.
    It will cost a bit more that 160 bucks I guess, but a pressure guage with a graduated scale in inches or meters H2O will give you a simple and accurate level indication witch will well and truly outlast the tank.

The other simple system of weighted float and pulley with the scale on the out side of the tank is another "last for ever system" that is still used in industry. Bit more work to install it on the tank, but you can easily see the level when driving past it.

Up to you mate but simple systems are better long term without a doubt.
    I spend the majority of time at work fixing, re-calibrating and fudging ultra expensive fancy electronic instruments.
    Give me a guage any day.
    Clear sight tubes are good but like any thing rubber or plastic the tube will not last for ever, after a few summers the bastard tube will stain and you cant see the level.

Simple = reliable = no dramas.

Hate to see you posting here in a year or so asking whats wrong with my ultra-fancy tank level ornament?

Hope this helps Rocker,
    Ben

If you need setup info, be glad to help

I have a couple of tanks with weighted float and pulley and indicator outside the tank. They are 20 years old and are cheap & reliable.
    For an easy and simple system they are the bees knees

But I have 8 or so tanks to monitor and it gets tedious driving to each of them and climbing up ladders with a dipstick.

Is there a way of regulary monitoring all of these tanks from a central point. I would like to monitor outflow and inflow so we can see median water usage stats etc. What would an integrated system cost?
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

Ben,

Thanks for the warning; it sounds as though I should go for the weight, float, & pulley one after all.

Rocker

Echnida,
    There are lots of options available but it is pricey stuff.
    Depends how far you want go.
    Do you have a plan or system or in mind?
    Not much help sorry,

Price, its for the scout camp so I'll have to find a grant etc
    but to do so I need to know the costs involved
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

Quote Originally Posted by echnidna View Post
    Price, its for the scout camp so I'll have to find a grant etc
    but to do so I need to know the costs involved

Without specific info the cost can vary a great deal.
    From basic systems to fully automated proccess type control systems.

A recent level control system upgrade where I work involved 10 tanks.
    In went new intruments and plc's etc. Cost was in the millions of dollars.

I ran some clear plastic hose up the outside of the tank and joined it to the hose that runs between the tap and the pump. Put a float or golf tee in the top and it's easy to see how much is inside. Cost about $10.

We have the same as the Dr. above and we have 10 tanks of various sizes. The good landlord put them all up a couple were showing possible signs of algee growing so I cut 1/4 dia out of a PVC pipe that fitted over the plastic and put the slot side towards the tank.Want to read the level in the clear pipe,... turn the PVC around to see. No more algee
    I would love to grow my own food, but I can not find bacon seeds

Clear plastic pipe has now been installed on my tank. Thanks for the anti-algae idea, Tonto. I will put some of that on tomorrow.

Rocker