Default Router Fire Hazard

While running some narrow (6mm) rebates in blackwood I was aware of a burning smell and a spark was seen falling to the floor. I kept an eye on the sawdust pile and suddenly there was a glow of smouldering shavings and dust. Thank goodness I was watching it and a shovel of burning sawdust was ejected into the garden. After that I have been careful about cleaning up and putting the loose shavings outside in a bin at the end of the day. I've also checked the fire extinguishers!
    Jim Grant

Jim that sounds like it could have been a woodworkers worst nightmare if you hadn't had your eyes open. I've got a cheapo garden blower which you can reverse and use for suction, has a nice big bag to hold lots of shavings - I give the floor a quick runover with it just about every day.
    Cheers
    Luke
    Swifty

Default Lucky Save!

I am glad it didn't all go up in flames! I have found blackwood very susceptible to this kind of thing and burning on the router. Try a slower router speed and sharper bits.

I almost burnt my house down using an angle grinder to cut bricks. Blown in paper insulation (old phone books) is very flammable!!! I was lucky... The brick I was cutting came loose so I took it out and did it on a saw horse and the insulation that had fallen out from around the eaves and onto the ground caught fire and burnt rather well.

If there is ever a bush fire around here, I am not going to stay with that stuff in the ceiling... almost impossible to remove it all.

Good warning

Chipman