Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default shower floor tiling

hi room about to tile my shower area with 200 * 200 tiles my shower is 1000*1000 and the waste is in the centre whats the best way to lay the tiles so i get the correct fall to the waste i have already done the screed sloping towards the the waste cheers

This is going to be interesting. I don't see how it will work, cause basically you have a constant concave funnel shaped surface and you are going to try and fit large flat tiles to it. Yes sure the tiles can be laid but I think it will be a lot of unevenness with big build ups of adhesive in the middle of the tile and nothing on the outer edges and may become drummy.

I'm not having a go at you. I faced the same situation recently, the tile shops were saying use 200x200 tiles and I'm afraid I couldn't see it working satisfactorily, it would be like trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.

I went for 40mm square tiles on the 300x300 sheets. Worked a treat.

However don't let me purturb you. Good luck

I did similar but the drain was at the back corner. I cut the tiles and had very slim grout lines on the cuts. Looks good, drains well. I don't think it is possible without cutting them.

That sounds interesting OBBob ... do you have any pics??
    Cheers.

Vernon.

200 x 200 shouldn't be too bad, unless your floor really is screeded like a funnel. Best to mark a crosshair centred on your waste and as square as possible to both walls, do a dry run setting the tiles out starting at the waste, depending on the levels you may need to cut the tiles around the waste in half diagonally to get them to sit well as obob suggested. make your waste cutout in the 4 centre tiles then start gluing from the centre checking fall with a level as you go each way (just get the bubble to the line). avoid having any thin strips of tile around the wall edges, take your time.

Quote Originally Posted by Vernonv View Post
    That sounds interesting OBBob ... do you have any pics??
    I don't really have any good ones of this area but it is pretty much what was said above. Basically you need to lay the tiles on there and have a look and where you would need to cut to get them to sit sort of flat against your screed. It should be fairly straight forward if it all falls to the centre. Then if you use tile spacers for the rest of the floor but try put very small gaps along the cut edges they will not stand out as much.