Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Home electrical testing?

Hiyas,

Is there a formal testing procedure a sparkie can carry out to see whether there are any wiring/electrical faults in a home?

Ocassionally our s/switch throws. Other times, turning a light switch off/on makes the TV 'click' very loudly. Now our new central heating has had several ignition failures. Of course, they can't find anything wrong with the c/heating unit.

We also blow far too many lightbulbs. Something just doesn't seem right. The house was part re-wired in the late 80's.

Is there some testing procedure?

I'd rather be told the house needs re-wiring or similar, than keep 'wondering' and worrying I might come home to a bonfire...

Cheers
    I read the instructions! It's still upside down...

Absolutely. Give a sparkie a call. We were having problems with the RCD tripping in a rented house and I got a mate to come around with his gear. It took him an hour of mucking around but he isolated the problem to the fan in the gas heater and a faulty powerpoint. Got the landlord to fix it and it was fine after that. Worth doing.
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."

Quote Originally Posted by silentC
    Absolutely. Give a sparkie a call. We were having problems with the RCD tripping in a rented house and I got a mate to come around with his gear. It took him an hour of mucking around but he isolated the problem to the fan in the gas heater and a faulty powerpoint. Got the landlord to fix it and it was fine after that. Worth doing.

As Sc says call the lecky they will have the test gear and experience and have it sorted quickly

For simple power point testing I've got a thing like a 3-ping plug with three lights on top. You plug it into the socket and it can tell you if theres no earth, or if the active and neutral are the wrong way round, etc. I've used it in all the various houses over the years as a peace of mind check - and found faults every now and then! I bought it fairly cheaply years ago at Dick Smith. Not a replacement for a full electrical wiring check - but a pretty useful gizmo.

Quote Originally Posted by dman
    Not a replacement for a full electrical wiring check - but a pretty useful gizmo.
    I have one too and they are handy to find initial faults for a sparkie to fix.

Peter.

Thanks all, I'll get one of those - but will prob have to get a sparki 'round for some other odds and sods too anyway. Update, bulbs continue to go, something's not right...
    I read the instructions! It's still upside down...

Get him to check the voltage, you might have high voltage, ie 250 instead of 240....that can blow your globes and maybe has screwed with your central heating electronics. Another thing to do is buy quality globes (Not home brand ones). Several brands have whats called RC, reinforced construction, which are made better, philips make them, look for RC stamped on the globe/packet somewhere.

Cheers
    Reg

Its very rare that the voltage is above the normal range. What is more likely is the voltage is lower than normal through high loads on the local circuit. To get a high voltage all your neighbours would also be affected and is generally caused by a system fault ie a tranformer or switchgear fault and this fault will generally do big damage.

With regard to your lights blowing you may have high resistance connections in the wiring - get the sparkie to check it out. Other than that buy good quality bulbs.

High voltage can be a pain. Had a friend bring me his TV to look at as it kept shutting down but it worked fine for me. Took it home same problem but it would run on a long extension cord from a powerpoint next door. Checked his power and it was just high enough to trip the overvoltage circuit on his TV. Adjusted it and it was fine.

Also had a TV with deguassing problems, ie put a magnet near the screen and see the colours change. Worked fine in the workshop but not at home. SHe had it sitting beside an ironstone chimmney in Bruthen, lol.

RAAF Radtechs get to fix TV's when there is not much else to do lol.

All it would take to keep light bulbs forever is a slow start system. They always blow on turn on as the heat up rapidly. Watch the lights at a sporting venue, they slowly power up for this reason.

Anyway get a Sparky in, the peace of mind will be worth it.

Lightbulb

G'day Ppl,
    Been quiet for a while.......
    Teaching Physics and Maths to a B*&^%$%^&!! Wanna-Be Uni student:eek:

Another thing which happens is that a CLOSE lightning strike will Raise the 'EARTH Potential',
    This can play havock with Electronics,
    including Security Lights..........I know

Also when switching on the peak of the Sine Wave you can be unlucky....
    again,
    including Security Lights..........I know :mad:

THEN

If the Lightning is a Direct Hit..........WELL Then !!:eek: :mad:
    Navvi

Default 240 VAC Halogen G10 lamps

Mention here of light bulb longevity.
    I have an as yet unexplained problem: the many lamps of the above kind installed in our house seem to fail prematurely. In fact I believe we see only about 200 hours in many cases, despite the labelling saying "long life" or 2000hr.
    Most are marked 260 V so I would not expect local utility supply outside the 240 V +/ - 5% to be a problem.
    Mainly the lamps I use are of Asian origin.
    Anyone shed some light on this annoying problem.
    Rgrds to all
    Pete

Anyone can put a little sign on their product saying look how long it will last. This is used to attract buyers who otherwise wouldn't touch them with a 10ft stick.

How many people take that product back because it didn't last as long as claimed and when they do, only to be told "there was nothing wrong with it when it left the factory, must be your faulty house to blame"

Philips, Osram

not some asian no name or home brand

Ivan,
    When you have 50 cycles per second, how could you not get the peak during the heat up period??

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Markw
    Ivan,
    When you have 50 cycles per second, how could you not get the peak during the heat up period??
    Mark,
    I've found the problem at home when I switch one particular light off;
    The Front Security light comes on.

The best 'Bulbs' I found are Canadian ones.
    Marked 260V and RC.
    Rough Construction,
    I would think meant for use in Rough Construction:confused:
    though I get good life out of Cheapies....... Cannot figure

Oh!!
    Also we Loose Power about once a week,
    When I return home; The Microwave is winking at me ........
    Navvi