Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: Sanding Resin

Question Sanding Resin

G'day mates,

I filled a knot and some cracks on a walnut table top with Digger's Casting Resin. Prior to which the top has been finely planed.

I would like to sand the top starting at 400 grit prior to finishing it with the Sam Maloof recipe (higher grit sanding between coats) followed by U-beaut's traditional wax.

Which grit should I start from and when do you stop for the resin? Do you wet sand?

I have never sanded resin before and will highly appreciate any guidance provided.

Cheers

GUNN

You can sand the resin basically just like timber. You can also plane the bigger lumps off with fine cuts, but I tend to just sand to avoid chipping. It sands to an opaque finish, but turns clear on applying the final finish.
    Neil

G'day Neil,

Thanks for the advice. I actually sanded the resin I tested with a piece of scrap. It became so scratched, I was like "What the....".

So, I figure I take a step back and ask for some help. Now, back to the grits.

Cheers mate,

GUNN

Once the wood/resin has been sanded, I usually go a few more grits down on just the resin area.

eg. I may stop sanding the wood at 600 grit, but take the resined area down to 1200.

Purely to reduce the size of the scratches, as sometimes I miss a "big 'un" and it shows through the finish.
    I may be weird, but I'm saving up to become eccentric.

- Andy Mc

Good stuff mate. Definitely take your advice on that.

The 1st 2 layers for the table's legs, I did a 1:1 Sam Maloof & Turp combo, just so it was thinned down for better absorption. Between each layer is sanding at 800 & 1200 respectively.

The next 3 layers of oil will be just the Sam Maloof finish, sanding with higher grits.

The walnut top is sanded to 400 now. I am planning to give it 3 layers of 1:1 Sam Maloof & Turp combo, sanding at 600, 800 and 1000. Then 3 layers of Sam Maloof, again sanding with higher grits.

Then top everything with a few layers of Ubeaut's wax.

We'll see how all that goes. Thanks again.

Cheers,

GUNN