Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: houn pine table

Default houn pine table

i have a new houn pine table ready to put a finish on what should i use. My first time on this site

Quote Originally Posted by tweed woody View Post
    i have a new houn pine table ready to put a finish on what should i use. My first time on this site
    Blond Shellac, it wont change the colour of the timber.

Look at the bottom of the page for a supplier.

Quote Originally Posted by tweed woody View Post
    G'day Tweed,
    I use a lot of Houn pine ( I live in Tassie and the tourists love it ) I use Minwax Wipe on Poly.
    Easy to use and if you sand with 1200 between coats you get a great finish. One problem that you may or may not come across with Huon is the oil in the timber, sometimes finishes seem tacky no matter how long you leave them to dry.
    With the poly I have found that a coat of wax after the poly dries solves this problem if it arises.

Catch ya
    Ravlord

Quote Originally Posted by ravlord13 View Post
    G'day Tweed,
    I use a lot of Houn pine ( I live in Tassie and the tourists love it ) I use Minwax Wipe on Poly.
    Poly on Huon??

Quote Originally Posted by ravlord13 View Post
    One problem that you may or may not come across with Huon is the oil in the timber, sometimes finishes seem tacky no matter how long you leave them to dry.
    Not with shellac it isnt..

Thanks ,I have a new tin of poly wipe on full gloss, i did buy some hard sellac today, may not use it as the poly sounds ok to use. We love Tas , went there last Jan for a month

Whatever you do test it on some finished scrap and let it sit for a couple of weeks...then choose the one you like

Thumbs up Huon Pine

Huon Pine is a beautiful timber that, IMHO, should not be ruined by using any finish that leaves it looking soft and lustrous.
    Therefore shellac/ wax based finishes wood(sic) semm the way to go.
    Last edited by artme; 8th December 2007 at 07:19 AM. Reason: Ten thumbs this time of day.

Quote Originally Posted by Brickie View Post
    Poly on Huon??

Not with shellac it isnt..
    G'Day Brickie,
    Poly on Huon is great,
    AND easier to apply than Shellac, It may seem Sacreligious but I Do not find Huon that great.
    Yes it is great to work with, Yes it sells well, Yes it can be nice looking,
    "Yes most of it looks like a lump of cheese!"
    May be I'm just tired of all the tourists asking for huon when there is Red Myrtle, Sassy, Blackwood, Leatherwood Etc sitting in front of them.

It does look good if its Burly or figured or used in contrast with other Tas timber.

But poly does work well,

Catch ya Ravlord

Default Huon finish

Quote Originally Posted by artme View Post
    Huon Pine is a beautiful timber that, IMHO, should not be ruined by using any finish that leaves it looking soft and lustrous.
    Therefore shellac/ wax based finishes wood(sic) semm the way to go.
    This should read "IMHO,should not be ruined by using any finish that leaves it looking OTHER than soft and lustrous."

Sorry for the stuph up!!
    Last edited by artme; 8th December 2007 at 08:57 PM. Reason: Good botle of red

This is some Huon finished with Scandinavian oil and Trad wax. (3 coats), It was done about two months ago. I don't thinkyou can confuse it with another timber and IMHO it complements the surrounding RG well. I agree with RAVLord that a lot of HP looks like a big block of Mozzarella, but I think in this pic, the grain really shows up well.

Just my opinion.

Regards,

Rob

With Huon, as with other naturally oily woods, if you finish it with anything other than an oil-based product you can run into all sorts of annoyances such as tackiness, matte finish, lifting finish, etc. etc.

A quick wipe down of the raw timber with suitable thinners to remove excess oils and then a light sand, to remove any raised nap, can prevent many of these problems.

(Just an aside: personally I reckon that although Huon can be a pretty timber, it's not a good choice for tabletops and other furniture that'll see hard knocks and wear. Unless you're thinking of a pane of glass over the top? I believe it's real value is in it's oil & smell: perfect stuff for lining inside boxes/cabinets where it can be left unfinished and free to scent the air inside...)
    I may be weird, but I'm saving up to become eccentric.

- Andy Mc

Hi Tweed W,

As you can see, finish is driven by intended table use and personal preference, not to mention level of skill of the applier.

Do post us a picture of your end result and your impressions of the finish.

LGS: Yearh, some Huon Pine can be a bit bland, so too can other timbers I suppose. But that hall table of yours is soooo cheesy, how can you stand it? You had better send it to me, I like cheese. Only kidding. Just beautiful mate, I really like it.

Cheers
    Pops

I have been told by extremly good proffessional restorers and cabinatemaker that huon pine is oily and takes a long time to dry between coats, like weeks!
    I guess this table cost a lot so please dont reduce its value and beauty by using a poly.
    Danish oil is easy to apply and tolerant it also hardens the timber.
    It will still take time to fully cure between coats.
    The advantage is that its easier to recoat when it gets a bit tired, than poly, which will need a complete restrip and refinish.
    Shellac is the best for a lovley finish, but not very family friendly.
    Go with an oil.

Astrid

Quote Originally Posted by LGS View Post
    This is some Huon finished with Scandinavian oil and Trad wax. (3 coats), It was done about two months ago. I don't thinkyou can confuse it with another timber and IMHO it complements the surrounding RG well. I agree with RAVLord that a lot of HP looks like a big block of Mozzarella, but I think in this pic, the grain really shows up well.
    Just my opinion.
    Regards,
    Rob
    Looks nice.
    Reality is no background music.
    Cheers John

I'm not a fan of oil finishes on Huon. They and the UV darken the timber too much and it ends up looking brown.

Hard shellac would be my choice for colour and durability.
    Cheers, Ern