Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Austrlalia's new shoe policy

The Prime Minister announced today a 'new shoe for votes policy' for his true believers.

The population of Australia is 20 million

5% of the population is one legged.

Half of the others vote Liberal and will be forced to go unshod

How many shoes will he need to buy?

Greg

What percentage of the monopods are Liberal?

edit: and what % of the Labour monopods have their right leg?
    Chris
    ========================================

Life isn't always fair

....................but it's better than the alternative.

Default More information please

You need to be 18 and a citizen to vote. The figure of 20 million includes a large number of permanent residents as well as children. How many of the 47.5% of 2-legged liberals qualified as voters?

I'll be a mug and suggest 19,500,000 shoes.

I assumed that 5% the Labor voters had only one foot and that 95% of Labor voters had two feet.
    - Wood Borer

Default under 18 year old votors

The shoe policy is not the only one from the new Govt.

Those with one leg apparently are going to get shoes whether they want them or not. They new Govt. figures that they'll be a shoe-in for a vote at the next election....

Hadn't you heard that as we are all created equal, under new PC regulations, we must acknowledge the right of everyone to a vote, and that included bubs and kids and adolescents.
    It's apparently the 'working families have a right to vote' policy.

Therefore the whole population votes

Greg

Another thought - 10,000,000 shoes.

"new shoe for vote" can be read as "one shoe per vote" which means all those that voted Labor get one shoe.

5% of voters are one legged and half of the rest voted Liberal.

Could be interpreted as all one legged people voted Labor and half of the rest (1/2 of 95%) voted Liberal.

No of Liberal voters = 0.5 X 0.95 X 20M

Labor voters = 20M - (0.5 X 0.95 X 20M) = 10.5 Million

Each gets one shoe so 10.5 Million shoes

Reading Greg's reply he indicates that "one legged people are going to get shoes (plural)" so perhaps my answer should be 21 Million shoes.
    Last edited by Wood Borer; 13th January 2008 at 08:21 PM. Reason: thinking
    - Wood Borer

but to save money all the shoes are gunna be the same size
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

They are all left shoes too. Something about half the factory being unsafe so right shoes cannot be made until new building works are completed. Builders are complaining that they always drop hammer on right foot so can't work until right shoes can be procured.
    anne-maria.
    T
    ea Lady

(White with none)
    Follow my little workshop/gallery on facebook. things of clay and wood.

ss_11000 is offline You've got to risk it to get the biscuit

you guys look to far into things and make something thats meant to be simple into something very complicated.
    S T I R L O

Quote Originally Posted by ss_11000 View Post
    you guys look to far into things and make something thats meant to be simple into something very complicated.
    Yeeeer! That's the whole point. Explore every angel and all that. Nothings simple if you look deep enough. Not even boys!

(Hmmmmmm! Maybe I should delete that last comment. Might get some flack! Naaah!)
    anne-maria.
    T
    ea Lady

(White with none)
    Follow my little workshop/gallery on facebook. things of clay and wood.

Quote Originally Posted by ss_11000 View Post

Any solutions Stirlo?

A fresh mind like yours is something to remember and admire - enjoy it whilst you are still young. I am not suggesting you are not wordly or streetwise, I find your views refreshing and lateral.
    - Wood Borer

Quote Originally Posted by tea lady View Post
    (Hmmmmmm! Maybe I should delete that last comment. Might get some flack! Naaah!)
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

ss_11000 is offline You've got to risk it to get the biscuit

Quote Originally Posted by tea lady View Post
    Yeeeer! That's the whole point. Explore every angel and all that. Nothings simple if you look deep enough.
    i know. its fun.

at work, hockey and school i explore most technicalities and use them to my advantage.

i love finding technicalities. i use them alot at school to get out of detention and all that kind of stuff. but usually, it gets me in more trouble than i would have been in...something about being a smartarse ( the truth is teachers hate being prooven wrong by students )

eg...no where in the school rules does it say you can not eat in class. i kindly told one of my teachers that and asked if i could eat a sandwhich. he replied no. i then asked why not as it was not written in the school rules ( which this teacher made me copy out twice ), i then proceeded to tell him that teachers had the authority to enforce school rules but not make up new ones. at this stage he was quite ticked off so i decidced to go further. he didnt like that so i got detention because i was being a nuisance ( sp? )and was disturbing the class ( of which every one was doing deadset nothing ). it was fun while it lasted though and i had him thinking very hard...needless to say he never made me write out the school rules again lol

Quote Originally Posted by Wood Borer View Post
    Any solutions Stirlo?

A fresh mind like yours is something to remember and admire - enjoy it whilst you are still young. I am not suggesting you are not wordly or streetwise, I find your views refreshing and lateral.
    i was merely pointing out that ( just like mikes thread ) the question was simple enough and you just had to assume a few things. i know the questions dont give you enough information to answer it to its full potential but i think its just like entering a course at school - some knowledge is presumed to be known.

but then again - assumption is the mother of all fvckups

interesting enough - a question in a maths test at school didnt give me enough information and i wrote for my answer that the question gave insufficient information and explained why. i got full marks for that question.
    cheers

ps. good hijack
    S T I R L O

Stirlo,

When I was at school the teachers were allowed to smoke in the classroom. The acting Principal smoked cigars. The school rules stated that students were not permitted to smoke cigarettes.

I smoked a cigar in class and like you got off on a technicality but the rules changed to include cigars and pipes.

Keep it up mate the world needs the likes of you, there are too many boring old pharts still in their teens - what will they be like when they get older?

Now what's the answer to the puzzle?
    - Wood Borer