Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: hercus alive

Default hercus alive

I fitted a 1 horse motor to my C class tonight also have noted it is a metric lathe also just need a couple more change gears to slow the feed.I found Mick Moyes very helpfull they sold me a 72/18 gear over night delivery here in Sydney

Default Beetle

Well done, look forward to hearing of your progress, ist good step was to fit a good sized motor, well done. Peter

thanks penpal

Default Hercus alive

I'll join in with Pete, I think that Hercus recommended a 1/2 HP motor with their lathes, and in my case I purchased a 3/4HP reversible unit for mine.

Having a lathe opens up so many opportunities, and teaches us skills not normally acquired using a screw driver, pliers and a hack saw. Suddenly, a whole new world awaits us. Turning and fitting, and if without a mill, milling to some degree.

Most of the blokes I know, use their lathe to make things for their lathe, to make better things for their lathe. It's a bit like having a car, we drive down to the local service station to buy petrol so we will we have enough juice to drive back to the servo for more juice!

Humour aside, skills once learnt at tech school, and quickly forgotten, are soon re-visited with intrepidation and mistakes. Pete is a craftsman, and has mastered the art of making pens. I've made many useful items including a knurling tool, slitting saw etc. etc. Lets see some of your work, with pictures.

Good luck with your Hercus.

Ken