Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Pumping to Septic

Hi all
    Has anyone got any experience pumping outflow from shower/toilet/sink? (in this case to a septic tank)

I found a similar post dated over a year ago when searching, but not too many answers.

Specifically, I would like to know whether such a pump is expensive, suitable for infrequent use, noisy etc.

We are building a garage that will probably end up just a little too low to run 1 in 60 grade pipes down to the septic line. The only other option is to raise the floor level, but if it's more than a few 100 mm, the costs of extra stumps/framing may be more expensive than just putting in a pump.

Any comments would be appreciated.
    Cheers
    Justine

Justine,
    there's a couple of self contained units that have a tank and macerator puimp, suitable to lift up to 3M from memory. If I remeber correctly they're branded as "Sanivite". There's threee different units, one will take a sink or similar, one a toilet, and the last toilet and handbasin. I think the toilet models sit against the wall and the toilet is hooked straight into it. I've got some brochures somewhere in my office, but I've got about 10 lineal meteres of shelving filled with documentation so it might be a bit hard to find. A good plumbing supplier should be able to point you in the right direction.

Should be reasonably priced, suitable for constant or infrequent use and pretty quiet compared to the noise of a flushing toilet and the cistern refilling.

Mick
    Last edited by journeyman Mick; 20th September 2006 at 06:29 PM. Reason: Answer the questions, doh
    "If you need a machine today and don't buy it,

tomorrow you will have paid for it and not have it."

- Henry Ford 1938

Thanks Mick

If we have a sink, a toilet & basin and a shower, does that mean that we have to have more than one pump? Or could we just have one inline to the septic (downstream from all the fixtures)?

Cheers
    Justine

Justine,
    I'm not sure of the capacity, but I'd say the biggest limiting factor would be the size of the holding tank. If, for instance, someone flushed the loo whilst you were having a shower and then washed their hands at the basin whilst the unit was still trying to clear the backlog then things might back up. The other problem would be your levels. The toilet madels are designed to sit on the floor with the outlet of a "P" trap plumbed directly in. This would require your shower to be higher than floor level to provide for fall. Best bet would be to talk to a supplier.

Just found the brochure:
    Sani-range, comprising of Sani-top, Sani-plus and Sani-vite. Australian distributors: Insapipe Industries Mt Waverly Vic. 95437500.

Mick

PS just did a Google, go here:

http://www.sanipump.com/San_faq.asp

PPS just had a quick squizz and you'd best disregard most of what I posted as it's now pretty out of date, originally looked at this stuff for a job back in '97.
    Last edited by journeyman Mick; 26th September 2006 at 02:49 PM. Reason: added the pps
    "If you need a machine today and don't buy it,

tomorrow you will have paid for it and not have it."

- Henry Ford 1938

Thanks Mick for all your assistance - hopefully it won't be as expensive as we fear!

Had a look at the website, looks like the shower might need a separate pump (that might be the end of the shower!) Will forward the details to our builder.

Cheers,
    Justine

Smile

hi Justine

just copied the link below from an earlier post by OBBob on another thread - hope this helps even if somewhat

You can get this sort of diverter box with an inbuilt electric pump.

http://www.wetearth.com.au/Product/P...ngSubCatID=201

Thanks Joister

I'm a littel concerned by their reference to 'no solids' though..... maybe we'll have to make it a 'liquids only' toilet.

Cheers
    Justine