Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RIP Jessie

Unhappy RIP Jessie

My wife's dog Jessie died last night. She was an old girl, 15 years is old for a German Shepherd. The last time we took her to the vet, she told us that Jess had a tumor in her guts and one day it would just burst and that would be it. No mess, no fuss, no pain. Looks like that day has finally come.

This afternoon we'll take her out to my sister's property and bury her in the growing pet cemetary down near the gate to the river. I hope the ground isn't too hard because she's a big dog.

I have a nagging feeling that I let her down though. Last night, when I was taking my daughter to the loo before I went to bed, I heard a bang against the wall. I figured that Jess had fallen over, which she often did due to the middle ear disease she had that affected her balance. I thought I'd go out and check on her but by the time I'd dealt with my daughter, I'd forgotten and just went to bed. I don't know if she spent what was left of her life lying wedged between her bed and the wall unable to get up, or if she slid off the bed and onto the floor as she died. I guess I'll never know.

RIP Jess.
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."

Sorry to hear about your dog Darren. It's a bugger when a pet you've had for years drops off the twig isn't it?

Our 16 year old cat (yeah yeah I know) is getting to his use by date too.

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by silentC
    She was an old girl,..... No mess, no fuss, no pain.
    RIP Jess.
    Well loved, good long life, quick painless death ..... we should all be so lucky.
    My condolences.
    Great minds discuss ideas,
    average minds discuss events,
    small minds discuss people

It's a bit of a relief in a way. The last couple of times we took her to the vet, it was with the expectation of having her put down but the vet didn't think it necessary. This way, we didn't have to make the decision, she made it for us.

I was only joking about cats Craig I used to have one called Tiddles, took ten ticks to kill him.
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."

Darren, sincere and deepest condolences mate. Our last female German Shepherd died in my arms 6 years ago and we still haven't been able to bring ourselves to replace her. There is a special place in a mans heart for a loved pet and I dont care how tough he says he is.
    Very Kind Regards
    Termite

Thanks Bill. I've always been a bit soft on dogs in general but the wife got Jess as a pup and she was always more like a kid than a pet. Very teary around our place today but life goes on.

Darren, I really feel for you and your family. It is such a sad thing to lose a family member. I lost my eldest in early June and she was only 8 1/2. I still tear up when I think of her. It is odd, I've lost both my parents in the last 8 years and while I was very sad at their passing, the pain was nothing compared to losing my beautiful Bree.

My deepest condolences,
    Grunt
    Photo Gallery

Darren,

My thoughts go out to you. I have had a similar experience and I know the pain you are feeling.
    - Wood Borer

Darren

Sincere condolences. I miss every one of the dogs and cats who have been part of my family and my life.

Col
    Driver of the Forums
    Lord of the Manor of Upper Legover

Thanks guys.

Sorry to hear about Bree, Grunt. We knew Jess was leaving soon, so it's less of a shock than when they go in their prime. I've lost three to cars over the years. Two of them still pups. It's harder when they still had so much life in them.

The sad thing about Jess is that she was really coming good from athritis a year ago. Since we brought her down here from Sydney, walking on the beach every day was really improving her back. She was running and jumping again. Then she got a tick which nearly killed her. I got her to the vet in time, just as the back legs were going, and they saved her life. She was never the same dog again after that though. The athritis came back worse than ever and she contracted this ear disease. Some days we had to carry her out to the yard so she could relieve herself because she couldn't walk.

When she was a pup, Leanne thought she'd lost her. She'd only been home for a couple of days and she disappeared. She searched for hours, calling out, even had friends around to help look, but she feared the worst because the house was right on one of the busiest roads in Sydney. She was in tears. She had some washing to do, so she picked up the washing basket and there was Jess, curled up behind it next to the washing machine. Looked up as if to say "will you shut up, I'm trying to get some sleep here".

She was a good natured dog that one....

My wife's dog Jessie died last night.
    RIP Jess.
    No good when a member of the family departs....sorry to hear about your loss.

Sounds like she had a pretty good life...no shortage of love and affection from her owners.
    Whatever note you blow youre never more than a semitone away from the correct one....(Miles Davis)

Darren
    I had to have my 16 year old mate put down last year so I share your grief. My son came back to live with us and brought along his Pit Bull who I have adopted. I just hope the big fellah will stay with us if the my son moves out again.
    Hold on to the good memories
    Cheers,
    Rod

Darren, commisserations on the loss of Jess and the empty space she will leave in your heart after having been a well loved member of the family for so long.

We lost one of our family member pets aged 18yrs to cancer some time back and it still holds dear to us the memories of the time we had with her faithful companionship over that time.
    Living with the memories of what was is a fillip for moving ahead with all the positives that abounded and with what you were graced with over that time.

All the best.
    Cheers
    Johnno

Everyone has a photographic memory, some just don't have film.

Thanks again guys.

We had a little ceremony tonight, drank a beer around the grave. We buried her down the bottom of the paddock under a gum tree near the gate to the river. She's right next to Jethro, so she's got some company. It's a nice peaceful little spot for her.

I hope the ground isn't too hard because she's a big dog.

RIP Jess.
    Very sad, but good to see you havent lost your sense of humour over it.

Al