Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Help guys ~ mothers day!!!!

Seeing i have now joined a forum with prodominanty guys as members, i thought i would ask a guys perspective, of how should i get my hubby, to get me what i want for mothers day. I am guessing that the hints thing, just doesnt work. I told him that he could go visit my sister in law and buy me one of the freshwater pearl necklaces she is making and selling (rather cheaply might i add), but all he said was that i have been making my own jewelery, that i dont need to pay for something i could make my self. ( i have been making glass bead jewelery and selling it to, but hers is different to mine).
    So how do i get it across to him?

Some words of wisdom from Mark Seymour which may help:

Well just the other night I come home
    After three months of constant grind and travel
    And I went snivelling
    I went crawling around to my girlfriend's house
    And she came down hard upon me
    And she ground her finger into my breastbone
    And she said
    She said: "You don't make me feel... like I'm a woman... anymore
    And you don't make me feel like I'm a woman any more
    You don't make me feel like I'm a woman any more
    That might work. Us fellas need things in the face. Subtlety never works.
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."

Quote Originally Posted by silentC
    Some words of wisdom from Mark Seymour which may help:

That might work. Us fellas need things in the face. Subtlety never works.
    :eek: You too, and here I am thinking its just me. :eek:

Al

miss-hip-chick,

It is really easy - you just buy the necklaces yourself and give them to your husband to give to you for Mother's day. It's a "win-win", you get exactly what you want and he doesn't have to read your mind

miss-hip-chick, I have had this arguement with my wife
    Its mothers Day, Not wifes Day

Ashore

The trouble with life is there's no background music.

Ashore is absolutely correct. Its an invention by the retailers to get people to spend more. Just like Valentines day was invented by Hallmark cards. Same goes for Father's Day. All loosely based on some escoteric old festival or Saint's Day, largely forgotten until the marketing dept dredged it up.

Like Ashore says, your old man should be buying stuff (if he must) for his Mum. Your kids are the ones who should buy u pressies.

Anyway, blokes aren't good at subtlety. Straight out tell him you want the pearls!

Takes a bit of the romance away I guess, but its all a commercial exercise anyway.

Remember, its the thought that counts. Maybe he could get the kids to think 'pearls'?
    Bodgy
    "Is it not enough simply to be able to appreciate the beauty of the garden without it being necessary to believe that there are faeries at the bottom of it? " Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Ashore
    miss-hip-chick, I have had this arguement with my wife
    Its mothers Day, Not wifes Day

I don't agree. My wife is a mother, she is the mother of my children. As such she deserves and gets a present from me as well as the children.

But subtleties and vague hints are not on. Just buy what you want and get him to give it to you.

Peter.

Sturdee!

You old charmer!
    Bodgy
    "Is it not enough simply to be able to appreciate the beauty of the garden without it being necessary to believe that there are faeries at the bottom of it? " Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Bodgy
    Like Ashore says, your old man should be buying stuff (if he must) for his Mum. Your kids are the ones who should buy u pressies.
    Remember, its the thought that counts. Maybe he could get the kids to think 'pearls'?
    Thanks guys, obviously i will have to tell him staright out, again.
    Bodgy, i know that, but having a 3 year old, and an 18 month old, i can see me getting any pressies with out help, and dont worry i worded the 3 year old, up to tell daddy pearls. lol
    So the question is now, do you get your wife something, or do your kids do it.

37 Deg, 52. 697' South 145 deg, 15.627' East. Elevation 78M

Quote Originally Posted by miss-hip-chick
    Seeing i have now joined a forum with prodominanty guys as members, i thought i would ask a guys perspective, of how should i get my hubby, to get me what i want for mothers day. I am guessing that the hints thing, just doesnt work. I told him that he could go visit my sister in law and buy me one of the freshwater pearl necklaces she is making and selling (rather cheaply might i add), but all he said was that i have been making my own jewelery, that i dont need to pay for something i could make my self. ( i have been making glass bead jewelery and selling it to, but hers is different to mine).
    My wife leaves the sale catalouges laying around with items circled or she leaves me a list, I just follow the instructions. Although I was thinking of buying her a Jig Saw this year I need a new one!!

Regards

Phil
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I´m not so sure about the universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Spencer
    My wife leaves the sale catalouges laying around with items circled or she leaves me a list, I just follow the instructions. Although I was thinking of buying her a Jig Saw this year I need a new one!!

Regards

Phil
    I am sure she would just love that phil.

37 Deg, 52. 697' South 145 deg, 15.627' East. Elevation 78M

I am sure she would just love that phil.
    Yeh she isn't interisted in woodwork so I figure that I would be able to keep the saw.

Phil
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I´m not so sure about the universe.

Said that I have had this argument ..... (and being still married after 33 years) means I never won it

Ask him what colour pearls he would like for Fathers Day , you appear to be in a great position in that if he gets you a new drill, saw , router etc for mothers day you can use it where as if you get him pearls
    Ashore

The trouble with life is there's no background music.

PMSL ashore, i see where you are going with that.

Miss Hip Chick, trust me on this one. Go to yourhubby and say this verbatim, dont change a single word or letter. "For mothers day, can you buy me one of those lovely fresahwater pearl necklaces my sister makes. its exactly want i want and i would really appreciate it."

As much as you girls love dropping hints men arent good at interpreting them. ask for what you want clearly and precisely and you will be surprised at how often your request will be realised. i bet its far more often than you get by dropping subtle hints