Hi there -
I've recently had the faux brick cladding removed from my 1930s weatherboard house by an asbestos remover. The weatherboards underneath have been covered for 30 years and are, generally, in pretty good nick. Anyway - I plan to fill and paint them before winter starts.

Wall Vents
Up high on the inside walls we have lovely period vents for ventilation purposes. However on the outside the vent covers were removed when teh cladding was installed. Is is OK for me to simply replace the weatherboard with a new one - effectively closing off the ventilation? I understand the building code no longer requires such vents - however I'm not sure what impact it will have on the lathe & plaster walls, nor on the weatherboards.

Foam Insulation
In for a penny, in for a pound. I've decided to insulate the walls before painting and plan to go for the foam injection stuff. They've been doing this stuff for years with weatherboard houses - and the stuff I'm looking at is like shaving foam - i.e. it's done most of its expansion as it leaves the nozzle, rather than after its been sprayed into the cavity. This should, I hope, reduce risks associated with overfilled walls. The house has been rewired in the last 12 months - so I'm not worried about any electrical implications.

My question is whether anyone has any experience/knowledge/insights regarding negative impacts upon the internal (lathe and plaster) or external walls over time with this foam stuff. Particularly if I go down the path of closing off the vents.

Cheers,
Paul

Read the full thread at RenovateForum.com...