Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Stitching Plasterboard Joints

I’m an Owner Builder. The steel framed walls of my house are 2.7m high. The mob that made the steel frames only put one row of noggins in at 1.2m, to which this wasn’t realised until is came time to sheet the walls. I used 1350mm wide sheets (one joint as opposed to two if I had used 1200mm sheets).

Now as the noggins are 150mm below the joint line I have a problem with flexing/movement between the top and bottom sheet at the joint in between the studs. For months I’ve pondered as to how was I going to stop/control this movement.

I wander the isles of the hardware shop looking for ideas and came across a similar product (can’t remember the name but they’re in a blue and red box) to Ramsets Wallmates ( http://www.ramset.com.au/public/Article/show.asp?ArticleID=1150&menuItemID=182&toplvlID=3&menuNo=0 ) and thought yes why not I’ve got nothing to loose.

So yesterday I gave them ago, I placed them at about 150mm spacing along the joint in between the studs. They have actually worked. There is now no movement between the top and bottom sheet. They are now stitched together as one. I will now tape and flush the joints.

Hi Rod,

What you have described is not a problem. Just about all frames have noggins from 75mm pine on a 90 mm stud. The plasterboard joints are rarely supported between studs by noggins.

Once the join is taped and finished correctly the join is strong enough in walls. Ceilings should be back blocked between framing.

What you have done should be ok but not required. Provided they are counter sunk slightly to avoid problems when stopping up even though they are in a recessed join they need to be counter sunk.

Cheers Rod
    Great plastering tips at
    www.how2plaster.com