Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default A Classic Lightbulb Moment

I use a lot of spirit stains as well as having been introduced by this forum to wiping finishes.

The problem has always been finding suitable containers to wipe from or to hold small amounts without constantly having to load up from the original container with the possibility of contamination, drying out etc.

I have over the years used lids, cut off milk containers, soft drink bottles beer cans etc - depending on what the finish/stain was quite often only a glass container was suitable. While hunting around a while back I spotted an old, heavy, large glass ashtray and the penny dropped.

Since then I have discovered that the shape is perfect for staining, wiping, using a brush and even returning unused bits [the rests form a small half funnel] to holding containers or the original container. Shallow, wide mouthed, heavy enough that I can wipe from it and it does not move around when you don't want it to do so.

I have a couple of these which clean up easily - being smooth glass, curved bottom - so no corners and reusable - cheap - at the markets I've seen them for sale from 50 cents to about $4.00.

Give it a go - one of those Why the hell didn't I think of it before moments.

Great idea Bob! I normally use a small-ish glass jar when oiling, but then have to either pour the oil onto the work , or tip a small amount onto the rag. I reckon your idea might make it a bit easier for me to get the right amount onto the rag.

Will