Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Festool Blade Sharpening

I was using my ts-55 today to cut down an english oak table.
    i unscrewed all the old screws and proceeded to cut.
    sparks and a nervous jump alerted me something was array.
    and of course, before even checking, i knew i had hit a bloody screw!

can anyone tell me where they get their blades sharpened?
    how many times can a festool blade be sharpened before you chuck it?

i am guessing a festool blade can be sharpened 3 or 4 times before it is ground down flush with the blade plate, possibly less...

justin.

i just send them off to the saw doctor with all the other blades from the factory, i have had some blades in cirulation for 7 or 8 years now, if the tooth has been damaged they weld a new one which costs a few dollars plus the cost of sharping which varys depending on who is doing it.

What he said. You should get at least a few years out of a blade; many more if you don't chip the teeth

Hi gaza. So even when your tct teeth are ground flush to the blade plate. You are still able to get the teeth sharpened?
    Does this affect the blade kerf thickness?
    How can you get a splinter free cut, when used with the rubber strip on the guide rail?
    Thanks for the info, justin.

They don't actual reduce the width of the blade.

Tell you the truth my rubbers are shot so we don't actual line them up unless we are doing something nice we then use some tape on the bottom of the rubber.

My preferred sharpener does a good job and there is no recognisable difference in amount of TC on the teeth when I get blades back. But I might make a comparison measurement and see how much comes off per sharpen.

Whoever you go to, make sure they know the teeth profile and corrrect sharpening angles are engraved on the Festool blades and just remind them to refer to and use those angles and there is no need to guess. Exact duplication of angles in very important. You don't want a different angle coming back from the sharpener.

thanks gaza and anthony.

i got a blade sharpened about a month ago on the gold coast for my protool csp 165e circular saw.
    the blade is 420mm (16.5 inches) with 28 teeth, i think it costs about $200 - $300 to get replaced.

anyway, it came back from the sharpening company with the teeth nice and sharp,and ground at the correct angles, however they are all flush with the blade plate, hence my question with regards to blade lifespan.

i cant see how i can get it sharpened the next time when the teeth are already flush with the blade plate.

does this mean the lifespan for this blade is sharpened 2 times and throw away?
    surely this cant be right.........

thanks for all info, justin.

That does not sound right to be flush with the blade plate. I can check my resharpened and tooth repaired Protool CSP 132 blade and see what it's like.

FenceFurniture is offline The prize lies beneath - hidden in full view

Hi Justin

Far be it for me to say, but have you thought of using a Flai Mustang blade for potentially dodgy timber? I have one and they'll cut any bloody thing, and smoothly too. Have a look at this. and search for "SSYTC025 Flai Mustang – Universal Blade". There was another demo he did with all sorts of things clumped together Alu, steel, plastic, timber.

What I don't know is if they'll fit a Festool saw arbor.

Cheers, Brett
    Regards, FenceFurniture

COLT DRILLS GROUP BUY
    Jan-Feb 2019 Click to send me an email

thanks brett.
    how good is stu's website!

that flai mustang blade looks great.
    cant afford it right now, but i will certainly look at them in the future.

cheers, justin.