Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Water Ponding.. Drain Help!

I have an inground pool surrounded by concrete that has cracked and water is ponding against a double brick cavity wall (west side of rumpus room). The rumpus room is 1 m below the ground level of the concrete surrounding the pool.

Surprisingly water is not entering the rumpus room so I'm assuming there is drainage below the concrete surface however I would like to stop the water ponding against the wall.

I though a cheap and effective option may be to place a pit in front of the downpipe (where the concrete has cracked) and cut a channel into the concrete along the length of the wall.

See photo A.

Or put one of those plastic reln drains in along the entire length of the wall (however they seem expensive).

My second problem is similar but in another area.

Water is ponding against the south side of the rumpus room. This size of the rumpus room is about 2 meters below the patio level. This wall is also double brick cavity. Problem is I don't have any downpipes on this wall so draining into stormwater may not be an option. To solve this I though the best option would be to build up the first course of tile next to the wall so that water run's off down the stairs.

See photo B.

Any advice to solve either problem would be welcome. Ideally I want to avoid digging it all up.
    Last edited by maral; 24th December 2007 at 12:55 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by maral View Post
    cut a channel into the concrete along the length of the wall.
    that would be my first attempt at fixing the issue if you want to do it on the cheap.

years ago i had a place that had water pooling on a concrete landing outside a small garage roller door. I simple used an angle grinder and cut a 2cm deep x 2cm wide trench parrallel to the door (similar to your idea parrallel to the wall) and away flowed the water, never to be an issue again....and all it cost was a couple of massonary cutting discs fro the grinder.
    It s not getting away from it all it s getting back to it all!
    Peter Dombrovski

Sounds like you have it sussed already.
    Plumbers were around long before Jesus was a carpenter