Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Newbie to woodworking & to the forums...

Hi everyone,

I stumbled across the forums whilst googling some wood working plans, and I'm so happy I found it I started getting into building/fixing things about a year ago, mainly because I have a very very unhandy husband (lucky he is useful for other stuff, like doing the weeding ), and having grown up with a very handy dad (who doesn't have much time for me any more due to interesting family dynamics), the thought of paying for overpriced ikea furniture, or simple fix it jobs was killing me.

The second impetus was (after talking about making one of those cube bookshelves for my kids toy boxes), being told by mum that I would never be able to do it, so wanting to say "told you so" helped spur me along.

Anyway, I found besides being very useful (and using a circular saw would not lead me to chopping my leg off accidently as my husband suggested), I actually really enjoyed the satisfaction of being able to create something.

I've seen some pics of some of your work, and OMG I am in awe... Don't think I'll ever get to that level, but I would love to. Looking into doing some classes, as I've just been experimenting thus far, and although it is working, I think having the fundamentals down-pack is probably a good start!

My currently project whilst my husband is on leave this week is to finish making a light box for my son's kinder.. It is around a2 size, I've made the box and got the perspex cut down, just need to the get the router out and make a channel for it to slide in, and then mount the globes inside.

Anyway, hope to see you all around here a lot.

Yael

Welcome Yael and good on you for giving it a go despite the less than supportive cries from the back stalls.

Ask away and someone here will always jump to your aid.
    I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you just read is not what I meant.

Regards, Woodwould.

Hello, yael.
    Try to find a woodworking club in your area.
    Great place to learn from other members and have some entertaining times.
    They usually have a workshop full of machinery that you can use untill you can get your own, and they usually have access to wood, screws, glue and other woodies supplies.
    I joined the local club when I retired and gained some very useful tips and ideas.
    I now find new members are coming to me for help ????
    Keep at it and have fun. Keith.

Thumbs up

G'day Yael and welcome to the madness.

Plenty of info and help to be had here so ask away.

Welcome to the forum. Always hard to do something when you do not have the support.

I get that from the forum.

Welcome to the forum yael , have fun while you learn, I do.
    Reality is no background music.
    Cheers John

Hey everyone,

Thanks for the warm welcomes... It's nice to not have people look at me like a total freak (being a woman and doing woodwork/fixing stuff), or who are so far past my level that I sound like an imbecile with my qns (my dad is one of those who built his first car from the ground up when he is 18, and rewiring the house is a normal weekend activity etc, and my BIL is a commercial builder).

But hopefully I'll learn enough to make some awesome stuff and show them

Quote Originally Posted by yael View Post
    But hopefully I'll learn enough to make some awesome stuff and show them

I find that even if I make something not so awesome it is better then what they have done.