Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Torquata dado set

Hey guys,

Timbecon currently have there 8" Torquata dado set on speical, so i was thinking of purchasing one.

Has anyone used them? Are they worth getting?

How would they compare to say the Northwood set?
    http://www.northwoodtools.com.au/pro...ID=735&cID=383

Any other 'budget' dado sets worth comparing with?

I would love to hear ur experinces.

Cheers

Sorry sport, can't help.

I need to get a decent tablesaw first.
    Bodgy
    "Is it not enough simply to be able to appreciate the beauty of the garden without it being necessary to believe that there are faeries at the bottom of it? " Douglas Adams

Are you sure you need a Dado set?

A router (especially in a table) is more accurate, cuts a cleaner trench and is safer.

If you do want one, be sure that your table saw has the arbour length (and diameter) to accommodate one. I'd hazard a guess that whilst the Torquata ones are ok, the US sourced ones from Northwood are likely to be better but more costly.

Default Northwood DADO

Auld Bassoon is right, a router can do a great job but I believe a lot slower if doing a large job, and the bit will become less accurate quicker as heat buildup is a greater problem. This affects accuracy. I would use a Dado first anytime if doing any quantity. Setup time is about the same, but a Dado has far greater ability to adjust to any width up to about 19mm. A Router at that size would need a lot of power, and would not be as accurate.

Without wanting to denigrate another brand Dado, I believe the Northwood is far superior due to the higher tooth count, and full disk chipper, whereas the other is a two tooth chipper I believe. Yes is cheaper while on special. but you need to compare apples with apples, not pears.

It depends what the job you intend it for, as to which offers best value.

I suggest check out both Dado sets and decide on price versus quality.

Northwood also sell the Infinity which is winning all the awards in USA at almost any price level. But it is expensive, about the same as other major brand Dados!.

Colin Rayner
    Northwood Tools

Apologies for using Ingrid's login !

Quote Originally Posted by render2017 View Post
    Auld Bassoon is right, a router can do a great job but I believe a lot slower if doing a large job, and the bit will become less accurate quicker as heat buildup is a greater problem. This affects accuracy. I would use a Dado first anytime if doing any quantity. Setup time is about the same, but a Dado has far greater ability to adjust to any width up to about 19mm. A Router at that size would need a lot of power, and would not be as accurate.

Without wanting to denigrate another brand Dado, I believe the Northwood is far superior due to the higher tooth count, and full disk chipper, whereas the other is a two tooth chipper I believe. Yes is cheaper while on special. but you need to compare apples with apples, not pears.

It depends what the job you intend it for, as to which offers best value.

I suggest check out both Dado sets and decide on price versus quality.

Northwood also sell the Infinity which is winning all the awards in USA at almost any price level. But it is expensive, about the same as other major brand Dados!.

Colin Rayner
    Northwood Tools

Apologies for using Ingrid's login !
    Are you suggesting, Colin, that an Infinity Straight router bit will Expand during use to an appreciable degree <insert tongue in cheek smiley here>

In any event, in furniture making I very rarely need to cut a trench longer than 400 ~ 500mm (if that).

Cheers guys.

i think i will look into it a bit more!

Default Router Bit for Dado

Sorry Auld Bassoon,
    I did not make myself clear.

A large bit (not job) can expand in diameter as much as 5% on a heavy cut over a long run. On a large diameter that can make a considerable difference to the size of the trench, or the profile in tthe case of a raised door panel set.

It is the exception as many timbers can take the heat from the bit after it reaches a certain temperature. I have done a little reading on this but don't fully understand the ramifications. Except on large diameter bits it can make a difference.

Colin R

You must remember dado sets dont just cut dado's, they are very handy... I can whoop out tennons by the dozens in minutes combined with a tennon jig.
    Want to cut a 15x30mm rebate in 1 pass, you wont do that with a router you'd need a spindle moulder or a dado set.
    Half laps bang them out too... even used them making decorative picture moulding!
    You do need decent hp, at least 3 for a 8"set.

Buy a decent brand like the Infinity Dadonator, CMT or a Freud dial'a'dado(I own)and they cut a super smooth bottom... almost polished.

I've got one for my radial arm and use it a lot. I saw the deal timbecon had, it's good. Go for it.

cheers,
    conwood

You certainly can't complain about the price. My CMT set was over $300 but they are very handy. As H said, tenons are a breeze.
    If at first you don't succeed, give something else a go. Life is far too short to waste time trying.