Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default SBS: Cutting Edge "The Meth Epidemic"

Gday all

Anyone else catch this show last Tuesday on SBS?

As the link covers, it was all about the impact & spread of methamphetamines in the US.

More links... looks like you broadbanders can watch it on the net.
    Download program
    Online discussion with filmmaker about meth
    More info

Scary stuff.

Cheers.................Sean

The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Quote Originally Posted by scooter
    Scary stuff.
    Why??:confused: :confused:

(Didn't watch the show, don't do drugs. I just wonder why you think it's scary??)

Quote Originally Posted by craigb

(Didn't watch the show, don't do drugs. I just wonder why you think it's scary??)
    The effects and the addictiveness are quite scary for anyone with kids. I used to smoke pot as a young bloke, even had the odd acid trip and magic mushroom (I hope you're not reading this Dan), but those were pretty harmless compared to what this stuff does to its users. I can only hope the authorities get it under control quickly, before my kids are old enough to be exposed to it.
    Cheers,
    Craig

Quote Originally Posted by craigb

Spend some time In NZ and see what theyre dealing with over there. Meth makes people crazy and violent....people end up dead, often innocent people who aren't doing drugs. Innocent kids who's parents are hooked on meth suffer. That concerns me.
    Whatever note you blow youre never more than a semitone away from the correct one....(Miles Davis)

Why is it scary?

What got me most 'intrigued' was how cheap the drug is.
    It appears that when you start out you can easily afford it from your average salary/pocketmoney.
    As it is so addictive you very quickly get hooked.

Initially though - due to the cheap purchase price it is pretty much the 'fast food' of drugs; even a 14 - 16 year old can become an addict just by using their pocket money.

It seems that heroine and cocaine are drugs that you have to 'work at' to afford (i.e. be fairly industrious in your b&e, dealing or prostitution), so the cost limits the initial 'take-up" rate somewhat.

With this stuff it seems that $50 and a long weekend will see you hooked, then you can stay a user/addict by having the rent subsidy of the dole keep you in housing, eating out of bins and handing your welfare $ to the dealer. Cheap and 'easy'.

Humans - and they reckon we are the smartest creatures on the planet :confused:
    Cheers,
    Clinton

"Use your third eye" - Watson

http://www.flickr.com/photos/clinton_findlay/

Meth’s destructive power comes from its impact on the user’s brain. “Dopamine is the brain’s primary pleasure chemical,” says UCLA professor and meth expert Dr. Richard Rawson. “If you take a hit on a pipe or an injection of methamphetamine, you get an increase from zero to about 1,250 units. … This produces an extreme peak of euphoria that people describe as something like they’ve never experienced.” Researchers have found that meth creates this high by destroying the very part of the brain that generates dopamine – and makes them unable to feel pleasure from anything except more meth. “It actually changes how the brain operates,” Rawson continues. “It’s a wonder anyone ever gets off meth.” According to the World Health Organization, meth abuse worldwide is worse than that of cocaine and heroin combined.
    Cheers,
    Clinton

Yep I saw the show and it is scary as to what these ppl on meth are capable of, they feel no pain, have no remorse, so if you get in their way of the drug look out.

Al

The worst of it is that it's just kitchen chemistry using over-the-counter drugs. Sure, many chemists are aware of the problem and make it difficult to buy pseudo-ephedrine based medications, but others don't. Similarly, most pills contain blockers to prevent extraction of the psuedo-e, but many don't. Often, all it takes to get around a blocker is a slight change in the method of refluxing... and there are several different methods. Lower yield & quality perhaps, but that doesn't worry the refluxers. DAMHIKT.

Marijuana at least takes a few months and ground space. Heroin & cocaine are imports. As such, there's a high level of risk to the... involved parties behind production/distribution. But this "new" speed? A kitchen, some glassware and a free weekend.

That is scary enough for me.
    I may be weird, but I'm saving up to become eccentric.

- Andy Mc

Drop Bear Capital of Gippsland (Lang Lang) Vic Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Clinton1
    (i.e. be fairly industrious in your b&e, dealing or prostitution)
    I'm probably going to regret this as it may seem so obvious, but what is b&e?
    Stupidity kills. Absolute stupidity kills absolutely.

Bacon and eggs?

Al

Break and Enter

(didya think it was something kinky?)
    Cheers,
    Clinton

All I could think of is food.

Al

Craig & Clinton, whether or not "scary" was the right adjective to use, my concern is for the potential impact of this stuff on society in general, not least my family & yours.

Am I curled up in the foetus position terrified about the stuff? No.

Was "scary" the right word to use? I dunno, will get the Rogets out next time

This stuff is more of a worry than my choice of words though.

Cheers...............Sean

The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Hey Scooter

Scary is the right word for meth. I think Clinton was agreeing with you though.

I always have a wee shake of the head when people blame drug addicts for thier plight.

Meths a shocker and can destroy a life in an instant.

cheers mate

Simple. Take psuedo e off the market. It's not like it saves lives or anything. It's sole purpose is to make people who have the flu feel better so that they can 'soldier on' and infect all their work mates and fellow commuters instead of staying in bed where they should be.
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."