Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default water mains help

I just moved into a new used house and have found out there is a leak somewhere near the meter.

I dug out around the meter and found a set up, diagram as attached.

What Im after is why would there be a tee junction after the meter on the house side of the meter. I know of one for the sprinkler system/irrigation but the other one has me stumped, it go's off towards the road.

Any help greatly appreciated.

I assume that the tap before the meter is the stop tap, and not a garden tap.You haven't shown a garden tap on your drawing, so the pipe in question probably leads to a garden tap in the front yard.

Tools

Well, there are lots of possible reasons, but the only way to find out is to follow it and dig it up.

Maybe there was a tap or sprinkler system attached at some point. At our place, everywhere we dig, we find old galv disconnected waterpipe.

If you're sure you aren't using that branch, I guess you could cut it off and seal it up...

woodbe.

yeah tools that tap before the meter is the stop tap for the mains, the front tap, is on the house, I will see how i go in the morning, I can only dig it up about 2 metres before it go's under the crossover/driveway. I hope I can find the leak, see what happens, thanks guys.

dig it up and follow it, would be a shame if the neighbours were making use of your water...

Quote Originally Posted by Dan574 View Post
    yeah tools that tap before the meter is the stop tap for the mains, the front tap, is on the house, I will see how i go in the morning, I can only dig it up about 2 metres before it go's under the crossover/driveway. I hope I can find the leak, see what happens, thanks guys.
    It's either an old irrigation system for the nature strip or its top give free water to someone else. Cut it of and seal up the joint.

If you find the leak get a plumber to seal it of and then you can claim a rebate on the excess water on your bill and sewerage disposal charges as a once of rebate because of your water leak. But you need a plumbers certificate for that.

Peter.

thanks guys, found out today that the one going to the house is an old one and the one that goes to the front of the house is actually the one that feeds the house, they certainly went the long way around. Thanks for your advise and help.