Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Seagrass - Keep it or toss it?

Hey everyone,

I need a bit of advice. So, I've just purchased my first house(yay for me). When we had the building inspection done we were told there was seagrass in the ceiling and to replace it at some stage. I just had a look today and there is a ton of it up there!

Installation of the batts suggets fitting them snuggly in between the joices, but with all the seagrass already between the joices the batts won't be snuggly fitting between anything!

So my question is, should I remove the seagrass before putting in pink batts, should I just leave it and put the batts over the top or should I not bother with additional insulation.

PS The place gets really cold at the moment so I'm hoping this will fix a good part of that problem.

Thanks for your help,
    Stoo

Jeez, that's a bugger of a high tide you have there :eek:

I'd rip it out. Sounds undesirable to me...
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."

This was a post on insulation I did which showed a site with comparisons and info about all the various types on the Aus market.

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com...ad.php?t=25141

Firstly I wouldn't reckomend pink bats unless you really need that last little bit of extra insulation - anything that makes you wear a respirator when fitting shouldn't be in the construction of a dwelling - I don't apply this logic to timber, concrete dust or non asbestos sheeting as you have to cut with power tools to make that dust.

Read the thread then think about what you need before committing.

Thanks for the link Mark. I'd seen the thread but missed the link completely. It seems the seagrass isn't too bad so it can probably wait to be replaced for the time being. It was rated 9 out of 22 on the list, so I'll pop up there and make sure its thick enough and completly covering the ceiling and just leave it for now.