Default Pics from the trip to QLD

Being the tight fisted man I am I waited 3 months till I had enough rolls of film to get a discount deal on developing.
    Thought I'd share some interesting pics from the Melbourne to Toowoomba trip.
    Pic one: was taken when I slid over the Murray River at Tocumwal, the north side of the river. I pulled to a stop and noticed some Silky Oaks that had been chopped up....wondered if one of the houses nearby housed a woodworker.
    Pic two: Peered over a fence and saw this woodie setup. Looked a bit rustic, but professional none the less. I knocked on the door of the attached house (it had a 5 lt tin of Ubeaut EEE on the verandah, so I was thinking it might be a forumite), and one of the neighbours came out. The bloke with the shed had been missing for 3 days, and people were getting worried. Oh well, I wandered over the road to the Murray.
    Pic three: Oh, my GOD! As you can see, caught up on the branches of a willow, a Foiley Cap. Now I understood. The woodie had taken off his foiley cap and that was enough of a slip for the mothercraft to catch him up in the tractor beam, and with a lazer knock the cap away from his hand.

Anyway, I got back in the car and took off. Bloody NSW, no wonder the people are so strange, the state is an Alien magnet.

Next stop West Wyalong.... I wondered if I would make it, and pushed my foiley cap down nice and tight.
    Cheers,
    Clinton

"Use your third eye" - Watson

http://www.flickr.com/photos/clinton_findlay/

Quote Originally Posted by Clinton1
    I waited 3 months till I had enough rolls of film to get a discount deal on developing.
    You use film ?:eek: :eek:

Yes Craig, I still use film. In marketing terms I am known as a "Late Adaptor".
    That means that I hang off getting the latest product till all the suckers have helped fund the initial R&D costs (that means YOU!) and then buy a new, capable, user influenced CHEAP design. I delayed getting a computer from 1989 till 2002. I have no shame! I look forward to getting a digi camera sometime in 2011.

Anyway, the next pic I took when I stopped to harvest some desert she-oak. A black barked variety. Stopped and went down a rail cutting to hide from any passerby's. Got the she-oak though, a sappy type, but... free at least.

Again, a folorn foiley cap half buried in the rail bed. I quick took off through the wheat belt of western NSW and at Grong Grong found refuge in what is locally known as "A Safe House". Safe under a alien thought ray reflecting device for a rest.

Next stop West Wyalong, where I was attacked by a vintage WWII fighter aircraft, a Vampire. An aussie design I believe. At least I think I did, either the foiley wasn't working quite as well as it should, or I had it done up too tight? :confused:
    Cheers,
    Clinton

I delayed getting a computer from 1989 till 2002. I have no shame!
    I'll say! I had one in 1983 or maybe before.

Suffice it to say that for things like the WW forums, a cheap digicam is cheaper than a scanner, and there are no developing costs...

woodbe.

till all the suckers have helped fund the initial R&D costs (that means YOU!) and then buy a new
    Gee don't hang back mate. Tell me what you really think.

My digi cost less than $300 btw.

Be a luddite (or tight asre) if tou want but I reckon you're missing out big time.

Be a luddite (or tight asre) if tou want but I reckon you're missing out big time

I probably am missing out. $300 is a lot of $ to me, so I'll probably just procrastinate a little more though. I guess I am more interested in other things.
    Cheers,
    Clinton

South Oz, the big smokey bit in the middle

I probably am missing out. $300 is a lot of $ to me, so I'll probably just procrastinate a little more though. I guess I am more interested in other things.
    Actually, $300 isn't very much when you consider the cost of film and processing.

I'm in a similar but interesting position. The ex badly wanted a digital camera years ago so we bought one. The camera came with me when we did the 'becoming ex' bit. Now I've got a digital camera that isn't very good by todays standards, isn't actually good enough to do some (but not most) of what I want, but still flamin' works. I'd really like a better one but can't justify the $300 for a new one.

The biggest advantage of digital is that photos don't cost anything. It means you can give it to the kids to use. It means you can take experimental pictures. It means that photographing every step of a job is feasible (even if it is impossible to remember to do). And strangely enough, I don't miss the scanner one little bit

Richard

Yeah, $300 is 50 rolls of film processing, not including film costs. Thats about 5 years for me.... with film cost maybe 2.5, 3 years.

I think digital means that you end up taking more pics and there is some quality to be found in the quantity ? I am sure that it is more convenient.

I guess I reached a point where I feel that constantly updating techno toys and falling for the whole consumer thing does not give me too much satisfaction. A reaction to some time I spent overseas in a couple of poo-hole countries. I think there are better ways to spend the few spare $ I have at the end of the month.

But then again, maybe I'm just an illogical miser, who doesn't like to give up his tools till they give up the ghost. :eek:
    Cheers,
    Clinton

South Oz, the big smokey bit in the middle

I think digital means that you end up taking more pics and there is some quality to be found in the quantity ?
    Having digital means you have more opportunities. For example, for years, my son would take the camera and photograph everything - car events, the zoo, etc. Sure, he didn't have to do that, but if I'd been paying for film, he wouldn't have been able to and I think he got a good grounding in photography.

It's great for my research - I'll go into a building and photograph everything that even hints at interest. Very important to me.

When I build my boats, I now photograph every step (when I remember) and that's been useful, and fun to see what you went through. I would not have done so with film, though I would have photographed the end product.

Another example is the freedom to take a number of photos and choose the one that works - experimenting with flash and angle works here.

I'm no great photographer, not even sure that I enjoy it all that much, but having the digital has opened doors I hadn't even thought about when I only had film.

So yes, there is quality in quantity, in that you are buying opportunities.

Richard

Richard, I don't doubt that its a good idea.
    My FIL has one and I think he had it glued to his face the whole time he was last here. Of the 500 or so he was taking a day, the sheer quanity meant that he fluked a few fantastically composed shots. Thats what prompted the quality thru quantity comment. I suppose that it puts you on a steeper learning curve as well, i.e. more mistakes and more success' to learn from.
    Cheers,
    Clinton

I suppose that it puts you on a steeper learning curve as well, i.e. more mistakes and more success' to learn from.
    G'day. I think you are right in that in that it *offers* the learning curve but I don't think many people actually learn - they just shoot of a few more shots and hope a few turn out.

I'm lucky in that photography is another hobby of mine and I own both digital and film cameras and believe both have their place. I have no doubt I can take better pictures with my film cameras but need the time to compose the shot and consider lighting.

Digital offers the ease of not having to consider this as much. The image quality suffers but the lack of cost means more photos of which a few will be gems.

Same with timber really - you always test a set up with scraps or cheap stock rather than the Huon or Sassafrass. For the same reason - cost, so you take more care and probably become a better craftsman. Same applies to photography in my opinion.

However I have found digital is fantastic for snapping pics of the kids. With a 3 YO and 4 month old who NEVER stay still the ability to fire of ten frames and hope they stay still for that split second for one or two of them is priceless.

Cheers, Glenn
    <>
    Hi, my name is Glenn and I'm a tool-o-holic, it's been 32 minutes since I last bought a tool......

Hi Clinton,
    Forget the arguments fore and against...just post the pics you have! A road trip by photos, regardless of their origin, and I'm enjoying your take on a road I once travelled a lot!

Cheers,
    Andy

PS. I have only recently bought a digital camera, very cheap, as some of you know by my endless pics! I now have to contend with a mix of photo, slide and digital shots...very confusing when sending things for exhibitions and grants etc. Do I have that on slide, or was it taken professionally and on a disc somewhere....!!??:eek:
    Andy Mac
    Change is inevitable, growth is optional.

So, anyway...
    Next stop after Grong Grong ( ) was to head up past Griffith and Parks.... just outside the Parks "Radioastronomy" observatory (yeah right!) is a place called Bogan Flats. See, its my belief that the 'observatory' is actually an upload site. Early experiments were carried out on the local inhabitants, sucking their theta waves dry and making the people effectively brain dead. Hence the word Bogan. Now of all the places to site this evil device, is it any wonder it is relatively close to Sydney? And.... the outer east suburbs of Sydney are renown for the higher density of the Bogan.
    Poor old Sydneyites... no chance really, I mean the highest expression of Sydney cultural 'wealth' are those talkback radio semi-evolved talking heads. What chance did they have really?
    A view from the road... I did not want to stop.

Next, after an uneventual drive through the Pilliga at night and a bit of a sleep under a corrugated iron travel shelter (in case the foiley fell off, man) it was past the Warrambungles (?).

Then finally QLD. Land of the people that invite aliens to "aveagoyamug", whose rugged individuality and careful selection of corrugated iron as the roofing of choice means a very safe environment.
    Ahhh, land of fine, bold Steve Irwin types, all long shorts, Blundstone boots and fighting trim.

Of interest is the large cellar roof for the invasion shelter that a QLD'er that had moved down into the Naomi Valley cotton belt had ordered.

And thanks Andy, wasn't sure if anyone had looked at the pics!
    Cheers,
    Clinton

Thumbs up

Clinton,

I appreciate you attitude. I too have become disillusioned with marketing hype designed to make profits at the expense of people who can't afford it. The benefits seem insignificant to the pain they cause a lot of people.

I've had mobile phones for about 16 years but they have always been work ones, I am on my 2nd digital camera but I was given both of them, I gave up with PC's about six years ago, I just salvage old work ones now.

Hand tools - well I don't mind spending money there. The advertising and marketing of the tools I buy is minimal but crap tools are heavily marketed and advertised.:confused:

It seems to be way with most products these days.

Bad product - big bright loud misleading ads but lousy functionality and reliability. Often have some burnt out sportsman or movie star promoting it even though they have no expertise about that product.

Great product - minimal advertising, superb performance and features, ads are informative. Most of the good news about these products is by work of mouth.

You aren't a miser, you are not easily hoodwinked into an hysterical buying frenzy like all the other lemmings.

I liked the photos.
    - Wood Borer