Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: Newbie Reno

Default Newbie Reno

G'Day to all! I have been reading your forum for sometime with interest and picked up some great ideas. I have only managed to get a few tools together the last couple years and found some time to play with them. Mainly recycling timber into furniture. However we are renovating a house now so have a few different projects to attack.I was wondering if some one can advise us about a bathroom floor that is currently covered with cork tiles but has t/groove cypress boards underneath. Given that the rest of house id polished floor is it feasible to do bathroom same or better to go with tiles? have attach pics lovely wife wants all to go, timber walls and all.
    thanks in advance
    Bob

Can't understand why you would want to change it.

There are ways of tiling over timber floors but tiling is not an area I am expert on. I replied to just give you one tip. Make sure you have another bathroom! Bathrooms take much longer than you might think. In fact, I would never live in a house where a bathroom renovation is taking place again. Once was more than enough.

Then again, I don't ever intend to renovate again either!!!!!

Thanks for the tip I think I will attack it over Chrissy when family is at in-lawS. I would be happy to keep timber in there but makes room to dark (apparently)
    cheers
    Bob

Default Bathroom Renovation

I can certainly agree with the warning about how long bathroom renovations take. I originally thought 10 -12 weeks for mine and I think it will be more like 16 - 20 weeks. Mind you I have kept the old bathroom operational to date.
    Juan

"If the enemy is in range, so are you."

Hi Juan
    I have just been following your wip I can see what you mean ! I have to do serious planning before I start.
    CCheers Bob

Hi Bob,

I've never seen a cork tile floor in a bathroom before. How has it stood up to the dampness etc? it looks in pretty good nik in the pics.

I'm sure you can do a timber floor in a bathroom - I've never done one but I've seen one in a 3 million dollar house. Quite a lot of mucking around to get it water resistant I expect.

Alternately I have seen a lot of timber slat shower bases being used now which might be worth considering if you want to keep a timber look.

I also vouch for the fact that bathrooms are a buggar to get done. Plan carefully.

Doog

Hi Doog
    The cork is Ok except round shower where water has got underneath but the tiles are lifting on shower floor so they all might have been there for a fair few years
    cheers
    Bob
    "If I had 6 hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend 2 hours sharpening the axe"

you can remove the cork and line the t&g boards with ceramic tile underlay
    made by james hardie just be sure to use a good quality rubber based tile glue
    i have done this many times with no problems

I don't think you are allowed a timber floor in wet areas any more ... if you require approval that is. Aside from that it should be fine ... if cork lasted that long, then well protected solid timber will be ok! You also need to watch the slip factor and come up with some way of sealing ti really well ... especially if the boards are a bit gappy.

Yep I thought it might be a issue (legal) to have timber in bathroom floor. All things considered probably easier to go with tiles and not have the hassle. I was thinking of using 2 pac to seal the floor but would cause some slip and slide issues when wet me thinks
    cheers
    Bob

Superviser
    Cheers on the advice, good to know what works
    cheers
    Bob

Behind that little door under the thicknesser...

We are having a timber floor in our bathroom reconstruction now underway.

Basically the room will be divided in two. The Wet Half and the Dry Half.

In the wet half (1800x2500) will be the shower and bath. Shower area will occupy all the half not occupied by the bath - floor will be a 2mm folded and soldered gal steel tray, 100mm deep, sitting over sealed particle board. Inside the tray will be removable oiled timber slats on gal steel frames. Frames will sit on UPHP feet so as not to impede drainage or have metal on metal rubbing.

A short hob wall (and perhaps glass) will seperate the wet half from the dry half (1600x2500)...which will have bog and vanity. Floor in this section will be recycled 19mm tounge and groove Tas Oak with a marine grade oil finish (coverage on both sides/ends). This floor was chosen to match in with the rest of the house.

If for whatever reason the wet side floor choice doesn't work out functionally or aesthetically then it can be easily removed and replaced with the more conventional but entirely boring choice of tiles....
    Ours is not to reason why.....only to point and giggle.

HI SBD,

Your new bathroom sounds very sexy - I'd love to see some pics!

The bathroom is saw with the timber floor had pebble covered slip drains running the perimeter of the room and around the vanity area,the bath area and shower. The timber looked like one of the red Australian hardwoods but it had a hard glossy finish on it running down the edges.

I imagine the timber was sitting on some sort of steel battening with a slight slope (i presume) and tanking underneath. The room was about 2700 x 3600.

It was in display home here on the sunshine coast so I didnt get a chance to start investigating what was under the stones and timber.

Doog

Hi SBD
    Your bathroom sounds great idea, as Doog said how bout some pics? I have seen couple with slat flors but would like to see more detail
    cheers
    Bob

Behind that little door under the thicknesser...

Hahahaha...pic's would be great eh!!

Here you go!

As you can see it's a work in progress!! This portion is the Wet Half - bath will be on the right and shower will occupy the remainder. The hob wall will sit on the leading visible edge of the pineboard.
    Ours is not to reason why.....only to point and giggle.