Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Putting toilet in small bathroom??

Hi all
    Not sure if I dreamin' or not but I would like to know if anyone thinks it is possible to put a toilet in our small bathroom. Have attached layout. A rectangle with a bath/shower, will put in new basin but also wanting to put in a toilet. Have two little boys so when they grow up would be better to have a toilet close by (saves them peeing in the sink!! - We've all done it haven't wee?). Bath takes up most space, any room for a toilet. Other issue is that it is an old commission house. Concrete walls and a suspended concrete floor, just to make it real easy. Bath is 730 wide 1660 long plus a 320 shelf at end of bath. Room is 1980 x 1840
    AM I DREAMIN'???
    Mcblurter

I'd say you havce to choose between the bath and the toilet. One or t'other. Shower, basin and loo would still be a tight fit, but doable... 'tis one of the reasons why so many modern houses are bath-free zones.

Given any though to fitting a bidet in the hand-basin and teaching the kids to brush their teeth in the shower/bath?
    I may be weird, but I'm saving up to become eccentric.

- Andy Mc

Where are the window or windows in this room?

If you put in a 1400 long bath along the 1980 wall that would give you 580mm for a small vanity. Then you could put a loo on the wall opposite the door. Might be a bit tight with the door swinging.

Can you change the door so it swings outwards? What about a sliding door. This could free up the bottom right corner in your diagram and give you more room to fit things in.

Sounds like a great idea! I think I'll lower the basin to about toilet bowl height!

I saw a bloke on the new inventors who came up with a toilet that has a hand basin on top of the cistern, so when you wash your hands, the water goes into the cistern. Get one of them - space saving and water saving in one hit
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."

Hi Mcblurter

Remember that baths are generally used by children and older folk, therefore I would suggest you should think of using a shub (small square bath under the shower) instead of the bath. This will have the advantage of being large enough for small boys, saves water and when they get big enough can then use the shower, (and they are OK for adults as well).

This will then give you the room for the toilet and a decent sized vanity unit - make it as big as you can with plenty of drawer/cupboard space for storage. Also don't forget to plan where to place sufficient towel rails. I suggest you consider in your upgrade suitable ventilation/heating/lighting unit.

If you go for a shub, get a combination mixer unit. If you go for a stand-alone shower get a shower mixer - they are great for young children - much safer to use as they can easily dial up the correct temperature and flow rate without having to fiddle with hot and cold taps. They will cost a little extra but are well worth it.

Hope this gives you food for thought.

floobyduster

My bathroom is about that size and it's got a bath and toilet. I'll post some photo's if you like.

I've used some space saving ideas - shallow vanity cabinet with semi-recessed sink, replaced swinging door with sliding door, cut down some towel rails to fit in available space - also put in a laundry shute.

Thanks everyone for the advice.
    We don't want to change the bath, it's a ripper, we can all nearly fit into it! Boys love it and SWMBO and I bath together, saves water and it's about the only time we get to ourselves these days!!! Plus SWMBO would not allow the bath to go!
    Doors are a problem with concrete walls. Can't open out as door closes against a concrete frame, so would have to remove 2 cms of concrete around whole door frame. Can't fit sliding door either, due to bath on one side and a cupboard that houses water pipes on the other. Other side is a wall to the kitchen.
    SCO there is a small window at the top, which we would enclose as we are wanting to make a dining room out of our patio. Could possibly extend the top bit but would eat into our dining area.
    SilentC I saw the toilet with the basin on top which was a great idea. Again SWMBO wouldn't like it aesthetically. We plan to have a small basin, and we could probably connect it to the cistern which would be a good idea.
    Is there any regulations in regard to how much space you need around a toilet? Or what is practical? I'm around the 6 foot mark so would need around 700mm depth by 600ml width to be comfortable, just can't see how to get it in there unless I change the bath.
    B1ueshift I would appreciate any pics you can send me.
    Has anyone invented a foldaway toilet????? Could fit a vanity at the top and have the toilet swing out to a 45 degree angle when needed and sing back into vanity when finished (perhaps have a mechanism that automatically sings it back when flushed!!!!!) Surely there is someone smart enough on this forum to make that work?
    Cheers
    Mcblurter

"Ballarina's are always standing on their tip toes, why not get taller ballerina's?"
    "I brought some second hand paint the other day, luckily it was the exact same shape as my house!" Steven Wright

I can't see how you can do it without
    A. rotating the bath 90 degrees and putting it along the back wall, freeing up space along the 1980 wall
    or,
    B. Reducing the room taken up by the door so you can fit more along the wall opposite the bath.

What about a bifold or trifold door?

Default You can fit it in, just

I think you can do it
    In the attached picture which is roughly to scale, the area required for the toilet bowel and the person using the toilet is the yellow rectangle
    the vanity is assumed to be 300 deep with an overhanging basin

It'll be a bit squeezy with more than one in the bathroom

hope this helps

ian

The problem with that design is if someone is in the bathroom with the door closed and not locked they could be hit by someone opening the door on them. Something similar to that is what I was getting at with a trifold or bifold door, which would avoid that problem.

Quote Originally Posted by sco
    The problem with that design is if someone is in the bathroom with the door closed and not locked they could be hit by someone opening the door on them. Something similar to that is what I was getting at with a trifold or bifold door, which would avoid that problem.
    It's not an ideal arrangement but to fit a toilet into that space without moving or deleting the bath (one of McBlurter's criteria) some compromise has to be accepted.

You either accept that the door is usually open when the bathroom is in use, or the user has to lock the door. I've a small bathroom in my house (1500 wide x 2200) and as a family we adopt the former option. However, visitors are encouraged to follow the later protocol.

ian

bi-fold doors take up far less space and can be used with success in bathrooms - I fitted one in my Coburg Bathroom - it was great. Note that I mean a two-leaf bifold timber door...... not a concertina vinyl piece of crapola
    Steve
    Kilmore (Melbourne-ish)
    Australia

....catchy phrase here

If you a willing to spend a little more (okay, quite a bit!) a wall-faced pan with a flush valve in the roof will save some space (no cistern to worry about. Pity you like the bath so much though .

Cheers,

Mark
    silkwood

What about the shower over the toilet....now that would be blissful