Default What lawn grass?

Hi,

Have read recent threads on grass for lawn, and the recurring theme seems to be that Sir Walter has been over-hyped, and buffalo (this would be a generic category of grass, i presume) is sometimes a little coarse but easier to care for while couch varieties are finer but harder to maintain????

I'm starting a smallish rectangular lawn patch for the kids and will be using rainwater from my tank. What grass (supplier, variety or trademark name) would you guys recommend? This is in Melbourne. In the ideal world, would like it to be lush and soft to lie on, not too hard to maintain and remain relatively green year round. If possible, a single type of grass, or perhaps a mix of 2 types.

Cheers
    Ashwood

i am in very much your sitution mate.

personaly i liked Couch, it feels better than Buffalo. Buffalo looks and feel a lot rough as compare to Couch.

not sure if you can get a mix two types if you are going to buy instant turf ?????

i have not had chance to feel Plametto (a type of buffalo) http://www.palmetto.com.au/ so far, but from threads it sounds like a lot comfy version of regular buffalo.

I've just put Sir Walter down and cant really comment on it yet as its only been 3 days. I've always liked the look of buffalo and a friends father owns a turf farm that only grows Sir Walter so it was an easy decision for me in the end.
    My advice would be to go around you local area and see which lawns are doing the best.
    Its pretty easy to tell if a lawn is struggling because of neglect or its just not suited to the area/soil type/climate and you'll be able to to see which variety is growing well also.

Behind that little door under the thicknesser...

Personally I'd use either redgrass or a mixture of wallaby and weeping grass....never heard of them? Not surprising. They are all native grasses.....and ideal for our environment and climate

www.nativeseeds.com.au

Last edited by RETIRED; 30th July 2012 at 02:31 PM.
    Ours is not to reason why.....only to point and giggle.