Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default First post and hoping for some advice

After reading all the posts and getting abit confused, I thought I'd ask for advice on the two tablesaws I'm looking at.

The first on is the MJ2325DS Carba-Tec 10" Cabinet Saw w/ Sliding Table and the second is the Hafco Model ST-250 SAW BENCH.

With approxiamately $400.00 difference in price, Hafco at $1250.00 and the C/tec offering at $1649.00, I'm wondering if anyone can see a difference in the two machines that would explain the $400.00 difference.

I come from a cabinet making/wood machinist background and have used a number of different table/bench/panel and beam saws. The closest thing to the two saws that I've used would be an Altendorph sliding table saw about 25 years ago.

Both of these saws have a similar foot print regarding space in the work place, both tilt to the right, have ten inch blades, have sliding tables and suitable dust extraction ports.

It will be used for both hobby and business on solid timber

If any of you folks have any ideas or reasons to purchase either one please let me know.

Thanks in advance,

Ross.
    Last edited by fozz; 27th April 2008 at 08:38 PM. Reason: adding images

one is carbatec and one is hafco.

it was the same when i was going to buy my bandsaw.

you par for the name.

www.carlweiss.com.au
    Mobile Sawmilling & Logging Service
    8" & 10" Lucas Mills, bobcat, 4wd tractor, 12 ton dozer, stihl saws.

Although the basic machine looks the same they dont always have the same quality parts, they are built to a price.

Thanks folks for the quick replies. While I realise that a brand name can add price and that they are not always built to the same quality, I'd really like to know which of the two saws people would buy and why.

I'm finding my trade experience has given me the knowledge to understand what the two machines are but industrial tools are not like these and I'm at a lose as too which to buy, i.e, is it worth spending the extra $400.00 and will wither do a better job.

I've seen the Hafco saw in the flesh and while it will do what I'm after, I'd really like to know if the C/tec saw will be a better buy.

Thanks,

Ross.

i would buy the hafco one.

www.carlweiss.com.au
    Mobile Sawmilling & Logging Service
    8" & 10" Lucas Mills, bobcat, 4wd tractor, 12 ton dozer, stihl saws.

I have the carbtec model and am very happy with the results so far. However, it was a dog to set up, although a lot of that may be due to my inexperience. I ended up getting an expert in to do the final fine tuning. I could get it to close but no cigar! Even Carba tec admitted it was no easy job to assemble and tune correctly.
    Cheers
    Paul

G'day weisy, can you tell me why you would buy the Hafco saw instead of the C/tec one, I'd really like to know the reasons.

Paul, thanks for the info. I'm going to C/tec this morning, hopefully they will finally have one on the floor to look at.

Ross.

Default Saw advice

Welcome Fozz.
    I have a Jet but have often wished I'd seen the Hafco before purchasing!

Went to C/tec in springvale this morning to see if the saw was finally on display, big disapoinment.

Apparently one had arrived last week but went straight to the customer so the salesman rang Brisbane and ordered two more, one for display and one for me if I choose to take it.

Also had to drop into Hafco for something and spoke to a different sales person to who I had spoken to on previous occasions. In the conversation I explained what I was looking for as far as saws go and he mentioned that hafco did import the same saw as the c/tec one but stopped due to it being unstable when ripping large sheets, i.e, it was prone to tipping over.

So, I'm still going to wait to see the c/tec saw but will keep what he said in mind.

I've looked at the Jet saws and while nice machines, the budjet just doesnt stretch that far.

Will let you all know what I decide, and thanks for the help.

Ross.