Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default What do I need: A hub/router/switch?

Greetings all knowing IT Guru's...........I seek enlightenment.....

I have a small home network built around a D-Link DI824 router which has 4 x 10/100 ports to connect devices / PC's to.

I am using all these and would like to connect more devices to the network. I believe I can add another 'router/switch/hub' to one of these ports thus increasing the number of 10/100 ports to connect devices/PC's to.

Currently the router is used to share a cable internet connection, NAS unit and network printer. Want to be able to add more PC's.

Do I need a router or switch or hub?

Was looking at the D-Link DES-1005D http://www.dlink.com.au/Default.aspx?Sec=2&Sub1=14

Is this what I want?

Thanks,

Glenn
    <>
    Hi, my name is Glenn and I'm a tool-o-holic, it's been 32 minutes since I last bought a tool......

A switch will do it (cost around $30) but why not remove the printer from the router, put the new computer in there and hook the printer to the computer. It will still be able to be used by the others in the network but the computer it's attached to must be on at the time.

A switch is an updated hub so you don't need one of those. they are a bit old hat.
    If at first you don't succeed, give something else a go. Life is far too short to waste time trying.

Quote Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
    they are a bit old hat.
    I thought your old hat was cool...

Al

Just add a switch.

If you take the network printer off and hang it off a computer, that computer needs to be switched on anytime anyone on the network wants to print. In a small network, it's much simpler and easier to print directly to the printer.

woodbe.

Or you can get a dedicated print server, that way no other computer has to be on to access the printer on the network.

Alternatively, get a router with a print server built in.

Default A switch it is!

Thanks Blokes, as I thought.....

The router has a built in print server. Used it for a while but bought a network ready laser a few months back that connects via ethernet. Found this works much better (uses the native printer driver rather than the router usb printer driver). Dont want the printer connected to one PC as a number of computer access the printer. The printer is also physically remote from any of the computers - its centrally located in a 'nook' in the house so again direct connection not desirable.

It's about location throughout the house as much as connectivity. I find it easy to run cat5 under the house from room to room and have everything connected via the LAN. Also allows me to have the NAS unit on a different power circuit to the media server.

So thanks again, I'm off to get me a switch!

Cheers,

Glenn
    <>
    Hi, my name is Glenn and I'm a tool-o-holic, it's been 32 minutes since I last bought a tool......

The switch will work, but it's not an ideal solution. The devices that connect via the hub, will actually be sharing a single port on the router. This means that if they are all accessing at the same time, they will see a reduction in speed. Plus the fact that you have cables going every where.

It would be much nicer to replace the existing router, with a wireless one. This will give you the 4 onboard ports, as you have now, but allow you to connect up to 255 wireless devices to the network. Wireless cards are pretty cheap these days, and you can offset cost by selling the existing router.
    Chris
    ========================================

Life isn't always fair

....................but it's better than the alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by woodbe View Post
    Just add a switch.

If you take the network printer off and hang it off a computer, that computer needs to be switched on anytime anyone on the network wants to print. In a small network, it's much simpler and easier to print directly to the printer.

woodbe.
    Why didn't I think of that
    If at first you don't succeed, give something else a go. Life is far too short to waste time trying.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisb691 View Post
    The switch will work, but it's not an ideal solution. The devices that connect via the hub, will actually be sharing a single port on the router. This means that if they are all accessing at the same time, they will see a reduction in speed. Plus the fact that you have cables going every where.
    Good point there Chris.
    My router does wireless as well (us it to connect in laptops). Had a couple of computers connected a couple of years back with wireless cards. Got sick of slow transfer speeds (54mbps) and intermittent weak signals from the router (weird house design).

Looked into upgrading antennas etc but found that cat5 cable much cheaper and more reliable. Good access under the house so wired up most rooms in one go (many with no use at the time) Now adding more devices to the existing cabling in causing me to run our of ports on the router.

Fair point on the contention of devices on the switch all using one port on the router. Will need to pay attention to the configuration of what devices are plugged in where in terms of simultaneous bandwidth requirement.

Thanks for the tip!

Glenn
    <>

Melbourne Outer East right next to mount dande

yeah right
    forget about wireless networking unless you want a nightmare
    you possibly will have to buy repeaters =more $$$$
    make sure ur network is secure
    prepared for slow network transfer speeds
    dropouts or network shutdowns

easiest cheapest is a switch you can run extra wires

uplinking a switch may cause a little loss in speed but you will still be way ahead of your internet speed anyhow and that is where its at for users on the network?right?

switch $30.00 a couple of cat 5 cables $15.00 + 10 minutes setup
    dont give yourself a hard time
    ray c
    dunno what's more fun, buyin' the tools or usin' em'