Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default For Cliff - Conkerberry handle

Cliff - I know you said use that Conkerberry I bought up north for jewellry - does this qualify? (Toolbox jewellry? )

Thought I'd do a bit of a Derek and make some pics while doing it. Unfortunately, it's a dull, dull, day here - a bit slow for handholding, and a bit close for flash, but here goes:

1. Raw material: My precious wood, a bit of HSS left over from the piece I got at the show to make a very small chisel, a scrap of 1/8" brass and an old 306 cartridge.

2. The wedges: Stick two bits of brass together temporarily (I used solder), chuck in the lathe and turn (at slow speed) into a long teardrop. Finish with fine paper, steel wool & some green compound.

3. Chuck the handle, drill the hole in the end, fit the ferrule, then shape as desired. I like a flat oval shape, so I rough turned the profile, then faired the edges with a rasp, then sanded to get what I wanted. Apply a liberal coal of Neil's brew (Shellawax) & polish to desired finish (Do the brass as well - keeps it from tarnishing).

4. Stick 'em together & take another pic.........

Cheers,
    IW

OK, nice work....
    I had never thought of using brass wedges, I just pour hot melt glue or epoxy in the hole & push the tool bit into it.

Maybe you could have just made the slim bit of the handle slightly slimmer to make it look a bit more hour-glass/lady-like/sexy.
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

Hi Ian

Very nice indeed!

I have also begun using brass internally. While the knives I have made are strong (from reports), I have always remained concerned about them being used out oif their envelope and the fronts breaking off. So now I am slotting the blades into brass and then this combination into the handle.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Thumbs up Ah yes

A tool worthy of the handle.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Rogers View Post
    Maybe you could have just made the slim bit of the handle slightly slimmer to make it look a bit more hour-glass/lady-like/sexy.
    Yeah Cliff - see what you mean. Actually, it looks a bit better in the hand - for some reason she does look a lot more middle-aged in the pic......

The wedges are copied from someone else's example - they just make it easy to fit a flat blade into a round hole, and also allow me to change blades if needed. (Not that a marking knife is likely to wear out in a lifetime or two!)

Hi Derek - slotting something accurately is a bit more difficult for me - making them from two pieces was easy.. I also put too much taper on the wedges - next time I will do a slight taper.

Cheers,
    IW