Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Smile Hi - I need some help !

I have with interest been reading the many posts here over the last 12 months and want to buy a SMCS and was after some advice whether to buy the Makita LS1214 or the Dewalt DW718V-XE. I can get them both for under $1000 and would love the Festo for its compact style but the extra $500 is hard to justify as I only need the saw to renovate my house. I have collected a series of Hitachi,Makita, AEG, Festo and Dewalt tools over my life and have never regretted any purchase, so I buy for reliability and quality. I need to build a Deck as well as alot of sub frame and moulding work. The ability of cutting 100m posts is most depth I would need and only 45deg mitre. Hope someone can assist me, cheers!

Thumbs up

G'day Mr. dell and a big welcome to our fountain of eternal knowledge and fading youth.

If you buy a good quality. bigger capacity and, therefore, higher priced saw you will not regret it. You will get quality, reliability and capacity that are small beer in comparison to the money you will save on the renovation. When finished you will have a tool that you will find other uses for.

Hi there
    I bought a Ryobi sliding compound saw that will cut thru 100mm thick hardwood posts. It cut quickly no worries but it cannot cut straight, 90 degrees or 45s even after I stuffed around for hours trying to align it. The guard broke off, the laser light worked for about 7 days and the brushes wore out after 6 months. I used it as a hobby saw with light work... Next time I am not going to waste my money on lower quality.... never again... better off with quality then you get the tool you need.
    Cheers
    Paul

Welcome aboard my friend. Seems like the advice is to go for the best one.
    Reality is no background music.
    Cheers John

The fact you can afford around the $1000 mark there is only one to buy by the consensus of Festool owners they appear the best dont take any notice of my jab at festoolies i can't afford one but as you know are pricey Makita,Bosch, Hatichi they do a good job.Lloyd.

Hello Mr Dell,

I've had a Dewalt saw for over 5 years now and it's great.
    I recommend you buy the Dewalt.

Features
    • Cam action mitre lock function makes mitre setting faster and easier allowing the user to quickly adjust angles between 0° - 60° left and 0° - 50° right
    • The innovative grooving stop allows the adjustment of the cutting depth for grooving and rebating applications.
    • The large dual sliding fence gives maximum support in large material cuts at any angle or combination of angles.
    • Linear horizontal rails utilise bronze guides to provide maximum precision when cutting materials up to 345mm wide.
    • New quick release bevel setting provides accurate and simple setting of bevel angles up to 48° left and right.
    • Compact and lightweight design characteristics deliver a saw with enormous capacity which is easy to transport around the jobsite
    • V version also available which includes a factory fitted sightline laser for easy setup (DW718V)
    • Electronic speed control for adjusting cutting speed when cutting materials other than wood.
    • SERIES 40 60 tooth blade
    • Blade spanner
    • Dust bag
    Specifications
    Power Input 1600 Watts
    Power Output 960 Watts
    Blade Speed 1900 - 3400 rpm
    Blade Diameter 305 mm
    Blade Bore 30 mm
    Bevel Capacity 48/48 °
    Mitre Capacity [right/left] 50/60 °
    Weight 24.8 kg
    Depth 470 mm
    Length 770 mm
    Height 396 mm
    Max. Depth of Cut [Saws] 163 mm
    Cutting Capacity at 45°/90° (W x H) 230x94 mm
    Cutting Capacity at 90°/45° (W x H) 50x114 mm
    Cutting Capacity at 90°/90° (W x H) 50x163 mm
    Max. Cutting Capacity at 45°/45° 242x52 mm
    Cutting Capacity at 90°/90° (W x H) 345x74 mm
    Cutting Capacity at 45°/90° (W x H) 242x74 mm
    Cutting Capacity at 90°/45° (W x H) 345x52 mm

The Makita saw has following features,
    Comes with the large turn table
    115mm deep cut
    By using a 20mm wood spacer against back fence, cutting capacity increases to 120mm(D) x 270mm(L) at 0° x 0°
    Bevel cuts: 45° left x 45° right
    Mitre cuts: 47° left x 52° right
    33.9° positive stop ideal for crown moulding
    Specifications
    Blade diameter 305mm
    Max. cutting capacities
    - at 90° 115mm x 308mm
    - at 45° 115mm x 218mm
    Continuous rating input 1,650W
    No load speed 3,200rpm
    Overall dimensions (LxWxH) 723 x 520 x 696mm
    Net weight 23kg
    Power supply cord 2m
    Carbon brush CB153

Thanks RocknRolla for reply.

I guess you have got the previous DeWalt model which has vertical slides. The problem I find with the DeWalt is the rough casting of the aluminium base and rear. Also the slide action is far from smooth and short in travel. I have a DeWalt cordless drill and kit but really am swayed towards the Makita even though I bought the mitre stand already which is the DeWalt stand.

The Makita is made in Japan and the standard blade is better and it is the Makita pattended direct gearing.

I just feel the DeWalt is missing something for the Pro use. If it was $200 cheaper I would get it. I will visit Just Tools in Melb and seek their opinion (again!!!)

Cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by bluegum30 View Post
    The fact you can afford around the $1000 mark there is only one to buy by the consensus of Festool owners they appear the best dont take any notice of my jab at festoolies i can't afford one but as you know are pricey Makita,Bosch, Hatichi they do a good job.Lloyd.
    Thanks BlueGum30, yes I have 2 Festo tools (now Festools) and they are great, one an orbital sander and a jigsaw, bought 25 years ago. The $1500 is so much I would have to sell it after a few years to justify the expense but does anyone know if the Festool Kapex is appreciably smaller in size for storage and lighter to move? I did want to pay for the saw on Bunnings vouchers so unless they got it in for me (I doubt) I'd buy that elsewhere. Most people other than the Kapex KS120 prefer the Makita.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Dell View Post
    Thanks RocknRolla for reply.

The Makita is made in Japan and the standard blade is better and it is the Makita pattended direct gearing.

I just feel the DeWalt is missing something for the Pro use. If it was $200 cheaper I would get it. I will visit Just Tools in Melb and seek their opinion (again!!!)

Cheers,
    I didn't know Makita was made in japan. I guess all tools
    will have good and bad parts about them, you just have to
    choose which one has more things you like.
    My friend has the makita and he says its great.
    I think both tools are a high quality tool and will last
    you for ever.

Default Hello Mr Dell

I have recently bought the Makita 305mm sliding compound.
    Couldn't be happier with it. Straight from the box it cut with accuracy on all settings.
    To test it I made an octagonal frame of about 350mm dia and all joints met perfectly.

I owned a Dewalt Radial Arm saw a few years ago. I like that saw too, however I was forever adjusting it and double checking the settings and making test cuts.

Default Hitachi

I'm on my second Hitachi.
    Bought the first one when they first came out. It was still running well when I sold it to a friend.
    Whichever one you buy, do the "flip test" on it after you first plug it in.
    With a scrap piece of wood long enough to contact both fences ( jointed edges are most accurate for this test - where they touch the fences) chop the piece in half and flip over one of the ends, slide the two together and see that they 'join' perfectly.
    Any gap is twice the error of the cut.
    I'm both dyslexic and paranoid. I keep thinking I'm following someone.