Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default What adhesive/sealant bath waste/overflow

I have tried silicon and also sikaflex 11fc to attach the waste to the tub. Neither works. There are two parts to this waste, apart from the pop up plug and housing. First there is a thick rubber washer that sits directly under the tub and then there is the grey part that the waste screws into and the overflow attaches to.

The rubber ring is attached to the underside of the fibreglass bath with silicon. The grey part fits into the black ring. To join these two together I have tried silicon and 11fc. After two days each, the grey part literally falls off still.

What should I be using?

Quote Originally Posted by ajm View Post
    I have tried silicon and also sikaflex 11fc to attach the waste to the tub. Neither works. There are two parts to this waste, apart from the pop up plug and housing. First there is a thick rubber washer that sits directly under the tub and then there is the grey part that the waste screws into and the overflow attaches to.

The rubber ring is attached to the underside of the fibreglass bath with silicon. The grey part fits into the black ring. To join these two together I have tried silicon and 11fc. After two days each, the grey part literally falls off still.

What should I be using?
    Have never had you use anything to "attach" a waste, maybe a smear of silicone or 11FC to help it seal but nothing else.
    Picture or link of the waste ??

Quote Originally Posted by droog View Post
    Have never had you use anything to "attach" a waste, maybe a smear of silicone or 11FC to help it seal but nothing else.
    Picture or link of the waste ??
    Having trouble uploading images.

Ok, that last pic is how it all fits together. And, I have never previously needed more than a dab of silicon, under the metal rim, inside the tub either. If it was straight through to the p trap, without the overflow, that's how I'd be doing it now. It's the overflow that is complicating my life today.

When you say
    the grey part literally falls
    how does that happen as the waste fitting screws into the grey part, it should seat the grey part by pulling it up against the rubber seal.

Unless the thread in the grey part is wrong for the waste fitting it should stay in place with or without any sealant.

Leaked when under pressure so tried silicone. Might just have to replace it. Have had it sitting with marine flex all day and as I started to unscrew the grey overflow from the waste, it just started slipping once again. It's the devil's bath, for sure

Is there instructions supplied or available online.
    The grey fitting should be pulled up to the black seal as the waste is tightened. Minimal sealant should be required.

Check that the waste can screw freely into the grey housing far enough that it will be able to compress the seal. The black seal also appears to be tapered with two concentric lips facing down as you have it fitted. Unless there are instructions otherwise I would have fitted it up the other way.

The black ring fits only one way - flat side to the underside of the bath and the side with the concentric circles goes to the grey overflow part. 17191327040762233755866294241317.jpg

I fixed the non adherence problem with marine 360. Stuck like cement this morning.

Now, for shtix and giggles, I have a leak around the overflow. Unbelievable.