Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Stuffed hot water system

We have an 8 or 9 year old 80L Rheem hot water system. The last 12mths or so the hot water when first turned on has been very rusty so we assumed it was on the way out. We are moving within 6 mths so we were hoping it would last.

Tonight (or should I say this morning) I noticed when I put the dog to bed in the laundry that there was a tiny bit of water discharging from the top 'lip' of the tank, not any discharge valve etc, but the top of the tank itself. I assume its now corroded and is stuffed and time to replace it?

Anyone in Sydney know of a cheap way to get a replacement hot water system - are their particularly cheaper brands of water system that we could use or is it much of a muchness once a plumber to install it is added into the equation? We really don't want to put more money then we need to on a damn hot water system....

Oh, is it safe for the dog to sleep near it or is it likely to 'explode' or leak really hot water really quickly?

Thanks

I'd guess your system is probably stuffed but HWS can continue on some months before meltdown. I take it that your current system is a "storage" type.

If it needs replacing, I believe a Saxon brand system is substantially cheaper to buy and install.

For a price guide....

Get the same heater- the connections will be the same - ie less money for plumbing,

Cost of heater plus 150-300$$ should do it.

rheem 80lt is a about 600$$ i think so you should be able to change it for less than $900.

you'll kick yourself if you save $100 on a cheaper heater and pay an extra $200 in plumbing to hook it up.

if you ring your energy supplier like we have AGL in adelaide they might change it over and let you pay via your electricity bill in installments.

They often have a reasonable price and do it fairly quickly too.
    If you dont play it, it's not an instrument!

$900 for this piddly little thing? Bugger!

I won't risk it having meltdown at an inconvenient time, or leaking all over the dog who sleeps near it, so will have to get onto a plumber on Wednesday.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by abitfishy View Post
    $900 for this piddly little thing? Bugger!

I won't risk it having meltdown at an inconvenient time, or leaking all over the dog who sleeps near it, so will have to get onto a plumber on Wednesday.

Thanks

I only say that because your in sydeney where everything seems to cost more, in adelaide its usual for standard changeover to be 100-150$ depending on how hard it is. normally $100

I know someone who's roof storage HWS gave up the ghost. Rust in the tank caused it to rupture and empty itself down the walls and through the ceiling. Fortunately the damage was covered by insurance. I think they were out of the house when it happened so I don't know how hot the water was when it gave way.

A question for plumbers - is it cheaper to install a new HWS externally rather than removing and replacing the old HWS in the roof?

I've seen a lot of rental type properties where the replacement HWS is an external tank. I've put this down to it being cheaper than replacing the HWS in the roof.

• One person can install an external tank with a sack trolley
    • Two people are needed to get a hws onto the roof
    • you need to cut parts of the roof structure to get the hws in, and the old one out
    • roof units are more expensive ( they do last longer though)
    Basically it takes alot longer, and you need to pay twice as much per hour for labour, and the roof units are more expensive, IMHO the roof units are better value due to the time they last - about 20-30 years or longer

Last week whilst in Brissy I replaced my Mums a 125 lt Rheem cost $680 including GST from Reece. DUX are supposed to be cheaper but I only had a couple of hrs to purchase and then install.

As Bricks says get the same size and power rating so its very simple to refit and rewire....only by licensed tradespersons mind otherwise you will void your warranty...oh that's right your moving...

Agreed with those saying replace it with one exactly the same. Make sure the element rating as well as the tank size are identical so everything fits easily.

Depending on the location, you need to be aware that the tanks now are a bit larger due to extra insulation. Won't matter in the open but an issue if it's a tight fit in a cupboard etc.

Guess it looks like it will be easier to replace it with the same. Its not in an overly enclosed area but is on a shelf made for it so it might need replacing (plus its chipboard and its a bit damp). It seems silly to have a WATER system on a CHIPBOARD shelf.

I reckon unless the HWS is sitting on a concrete floor and it is installed inside the house it should be sitting in a drain tray with the drain run to the outside.

That sounds like a typical Rheem glass lined steel HWS. Had two of them go when I was living in Sydney.

I currently have a Braemar Copper tank that has been installed for over 25 years. Sits on a drain tray in the roof.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry_White View Post
    I reckon unless the HWS is sitting on a concrete floor and it is installed inside the house it should be sitting in a drain tray with the drain run to the outside.
    Nothing that fancy here mate.

If you are going to be moving, why not visit your local salvage yard and pick up good second hand unit, here in SA would pick one up for about $200

I wouldn't trust a salvage yard to sell me a 'good' one. As much as we'd like to save a few $$, we'd rather not risk going to the trouble of getting a dodgy system installed! Sometimes we just need to bite the bullet I think.

I suppose it does make sense to replace the hws with the same size and type.

I just went looking for the saxon website and discovered they no longer make the Quickfit model I installed 2 years ago. Bum! Took the plumber a whole 30 minutes to instal it.