Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Rats have had a chew

Knocked out a small wall to open up the laundry. It ran under a support beam which has some wiring and pipe work running along it. There were 5 dead rats in the wall and at some stage they had chewed on one of the power lines. Only one wire - the black/neutral was though to the copper over about 1/2 inch. I've bound it up with insulation tape but should this be cut and rejoined in a junction box?

David L

Quote Originally Posted by Wombat2 View Post
    I've bound it up with insulation tape but should this be cut and rejoined in a junction box?

David L

What, the rat?

Al

Quote Originally Posted by Wombat2 View Post
    Knocked out a small wall to open up the laundry. It ran under a support beam which has some wiring and pipe work running along it. There were 5 dead rats in the wall and at some stage they had chewed on one of the power lines. Only one wire - the black/neutral was though to the copper over about 1/2 inch. I've bound it up with insulation tape but should this be cut and rejoined in a junction box?

David L
    If it is only the neutral it should be ok with plenty of insulation tape on it. Electricity Authorities don't like junction boxes locked up in walls.

a junction box isn't a good idea, as if the house needs rewiring, when the sparky doing th job goes to pull the cable through he'll have to knock a hole in the wall to get to the juction box, or run it through an all new path