I'd like to pick the collective brains of the forum, particularly anyone with experience of 1920's Queenslanders.

I'm removing walls to turn 3 rooms into an open plan living space. If I understand correctly, the construction of these houses was in the following order: floor joists and floor boards, external walls, ceiling joists and ceiling vj's. Then internal walls were added by nailing in posts for the corners of walls and either side of doors, with the vj walls added last. Can anyone confirm or amend this?

So if I have a door post, which is sitting on top of the floorboards, but not on top of a floor joist, and is only directly underneath ceiling vj's and not under a ceiling joist, it's not a structural post. Is this correct?

I'm a practicing civil engineer, with a background in building and decades of renovation experience. I'll make my own decision, so I'm not asking for advice, only a sense check, ideally from someone with experience in this type of construction.

I've attached a photo. The posts I'm looking to remove are the two right hand posts. The centre post in the photo is actually the left hand post of a door frame: the right hand post was removed by previous owners and replaced with a relatively small beam. My plan is to put another beam across the whole opening, as well as an additional beam in the roof space, just to be sure, and to prevent any sagging.

Attached Thumbnails

Read the full thread at RenovateForum.com...