Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post WD 40 and its extra uses.

This was sent to me about WD-40

When you read the “shower door" part, try it. It's the first thing that has ever cleaned that spotty shower door. If yours is plastic, it works just as well as glass. It's a miracle! Then try it on your stovetop...Viola! It's now shinier than it's ever been. You'll be amazed.

The product began from a search for a rust preventative solvent and degreaser to protect missile parts. WD-40 was created in 1953 by three technicians at the San Diego Rocket Chemical Company. Its name comes from the project that was to find a "water displacement" compound. They were successful with the fortieth formulation, thus WD-40. The Corsair!

Company bought it in bulk to protect their Atlas missile parts. The workers were so pleased with the product, they began smuggling (also known as "shrinkage" or "stealing") it out to use at home. The executives decided there might be a consumer market for it a d put it in aerosol cans. The rest, as they say, is history.

It is a carefully guarded recipe known only to four people. Only one of them is the "brew master." There are about 2.5 million gallons of the stuff manufactured each year. It gets its distinctive smell from a fragrance that is added to the brew. Ken East (one of the original Founders) says there is nothing in WD-40 that would hurt you.

Here are some of the uses:

Protects silver from tarnishing

Cleans and lubricates guitar strings

Gives floors that 'just-waxed' sheen without making it slippery.

Keeps flies off cows

Restores and cleans chalkboards

Removes lipstick stains

Loosens stubborn zippers

Untangles jewellery chains

Removes stains from stainless steel sinks

Removes dirt and grime from the barbecue grill

Keeps ceramic/terra cotta garden pots from oxidizing

Removes tomato stains from bop; clothing

Keeps glass shower doors free of water spots

Camouflages scratches in ceramic and marble floors

Keeps scissors working smoothly

Lubricates noisy door hinges on vehicles and doors in homes

Gives a children's play gym slide a shine for a super fast slide

Lubricates gear shift and mower deck lever for ease of handling on riding mowers

Rids rocking chairs and swings of squeaky noises

Lubricates tracks in sticking home windows and makes them easier to open

Spraying an umbrella stem makes it easier to open and close

Restores and cleans padded leather dashboards in vehicles, as well as vinyl bumpers

Restores and cleans roof racks on vehicles

Lubricates and stops squeaks in electric fans

Lubricates wheel sprockets on tricycles, wagons and bicycles for easy handling

Lubricates fan belts on washers and dryers and keeps them running smoothly

Keeps rust from forming on saws and saw blades, and other tools

Removes splattered grease on stove

Keeps bathroom mirror from fogging

Lubricates prosthetic limbs

Keeps pigeons off the balcony (they hate the smell)

Removes all traces of duct tape

I have even heard of folks spraying it on their arms, hands, and knees to relieve arthritis pain.Florida's favourite use was "cleans and removes love bugs from grills and bumpers

The favourite use in the State of New York WD-40 protects the Statue of Liberty from the elements.

WD-40 attracts fish. Spray a LITTLE on live bait or lures and you will be catching the big one in no time. Also it's a lot cheaper than the chemical attractants that are made for just that purpose. Keep in mind though, using some chemical laced baits or lures for fishing are not allowed in some states.

Use it for fire ant bites. It takes the sting away immediately, and stops the itch.

WD-40 is great for removing crayon from walls. Spray on the mark and wipe with a clean rag.

Also, if you've discovered that your teenage daughter has washed and dried a tube of lipstick with a load of laundry, saturate the lipstick spots with WD-40 and re-wash. Presto! Lipstick is gone!

If you sprayed WD-40 on the distributor cap, it would displace the moisture and allow the car to start.

WD-40, long known for its ability to remove left-over tape mong sticky label tape), is also a lovely perfume and air freshener! Sprayed liberally on every hinge in the house, it leaves that distinctive clean fresh scent for up to two days! Seriously though, it removes black scuff marks from the kitchen floor!

Use WD-40 for that nasty tar and scuff marks on flooring. It doesn't seem to harm the finish and you won’t have to scrub nearly as hard to get them off. Just remember to open some windows if you have a lot of marks.

Bug guts will eat away the finish on your car if not removed quickly! Use WD-40!
    Last edited by RETIRED; 23rd August 2006 at 07:52 PM. Reason: Getting rid of office tags. and making it readable.
    Dave,
    hug the tree before you start the chainsaw.

Also great for throwing at the shop-dog when nothing else is ready to hand and he makes a suspicious move on your TS leg...
    I may be weird, but I'm saving up to become eccentric.

- Andy Mc

Quote Originally Posted by Skew ChiDAMN!!
    Also great for throwing at the shop-dog when nothing else is ready to hand and he makes a suspicious move on your TS leg...
    I used my triton protractor for that

Actually havent had a discussion on that for a while.....mmmmmmm.....does he dare

And here i am using air freshener in the toilet when i can get WD40 from work for nothing....

Default Wd40

I liked the bit about fire ant bites. livving here in SEQLD it could come in handy.
    Dave,
    hug the tree before you start the chainsaw.

Also works on Sand Fly (Midge) bites & can be used to deter ants for a couple of days but don't spray it on ya sangers.
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

It does NOT stop corrosion of fine machinery. Mate of mine (tm) has fixed many very expensive shotguns (in the $10,000 plus range) which have been 'lubricated' with WD40 - they are generally rusted up inside so the lock parts no longer move. WD40 -displaces- water, not eliminates it, so when the WD40 evaporates, it leaves the water behind, usually in droplets which encourage corrosion.

It is however an essential for cars in wet weather.

Ballistol (brand name) is a better oil & anti-corrosive - comes in spray pack & bulk bottles & cans. Or some of the lanolin based surface protectors. Haven't seen Boeshield but its supposed to be even better, specially in high temeratures.

Quote Originally Posted by benji79
    And here i am using air freshener in the toilet when i can get WD40 from work for nothing....
    You could spray it on your bum, could make things easier?
    If you can do it - Do it! If you can't do it - Try it!
    Do both well!

Quote Originally Posted by ernknot
    Or marinate yer food in it...

The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Rogers
    Also works on Sand Fly (Midge) bites & can be used to deter ants for a couple of days but don't spray it on ya sangers.
    That's just to show you that it protects yer semmitches from humans!

Quote Originally Posted by ernknot

Yer, he said dryly, especially when yer skid off the toilet seat and into the wall - try telling that to yer insewerants company.

Hate to put a dampner on it but WD 40 is in large part DMSO (Dimethyl sulfoxide). Great solvent some interestesting physical and chemical properties, perfect for perforating your skin. The US military played with it for a while as a means of getting vaccines into your bloodstream without needles. It worked too well as any grunge on your skin went in too. The last thing that I would be doing is getting that stuff anywhere near your skin.

Quote Originally Posted by PAH1
    Hate to put a dampner on it but WD 40 is in large part DMSO (Dimethyl sulfoxide). Great solvent some interestesting physical and chemical properties, perfect for perforating your skin. The US military played with it for a while as a means of getting vaccines into your bloodstream without needles. It worked too well as any grunge on your skin went in too. The last thing that I would be doing is getting that stuff anywhere near your skin.
    When I read your post it immediately peaked my interest and I went straight out and put a few drops on my wrist. Having worked with DMSO as a solvent in NMR, and got it on my skin, I know that within seconds of exposure on the skin, you can taste it in your mouth. But the WD40 didn't have any of the characteristic taste. I wonder where you heard it was DMSO? Anyway I did quick google and came up with this link that suggests most of the volatiles are medium chain hydrocarbons.

http://yarchive.net/chem/wd40.html
    Cheers
    Michael

I don't know where DMSO fits in, but the Material Safety Data sheet I just downloaded (from the manufacturer) listed the flollowing:

Aliphatic Petroleum Distillates 45-50%
    Petroleum Base Oil 15-25%
    LVP Hydrocarbon Fluid 12-18%
    Carbon Dioxide 2-3%
    Non-hazardous Ingredients ‹ 10%

Cheers,
    Andy Mac
    Change is inevitable, growth is optional.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluegum
    This was sent to me about WD-40

When you read the “shower door" part, try it. It's the first thing that has ever cleaned that spotty shower door. If yours is plastic, it works just as well as glass.
    Please tell me more about the shower door. We have glass - these would look great as an ornament but for everyday use workwise to try to keep them clean :mad::mad:

Did use WD40 a long time ago on some tools which were stored for almost 12 months - see the post above re the shotguns :mad::mad::mad::mad:

This is where I learnt about the great results obtained using vinegar for rust removal.

WD 40 on doors
    How often?
    We are on septic system - problems?
    Does it affect sealers used around the base?
    Anything else you can think of..........

Regards,
    Bob