Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default problems with split system install

guy's.just had a panasonic 8.1 kw reverse a/c installed the pipe run was 10m (ish) we had a funny noise when we turn the unit on and after a few days the system started to not cool as desired, so I got the bloke back that had installed the unit he checked a few things then sprayed some stuff in which he said would stop a leak. (as this reacts with the air).Also said the there was still positive pressure in the unit so no air had got in. After this he then put some more 410 gas in to the correct pressure and said all was well, this happened last night the unit was working well last night for the time we had it on.The question I have is does anyone use this stuff that he sprayed in ??how safe is it to use ??what are the long term affects on the unit I have ???was this just a quick fix/she'll be right mate solution.The stuff was in a blue tin and was a throw away after the one charge (did not manage to catch the name and woogle has drawn a blank which is a worry.Any information would be appreciated.Davo

i've seen the stuff at Actrol but I only fix leaks the old fashioned way. You should really only use it when you really can't find the leak. Even though they claim it to be compatible, it still contaminates the oil.

Im concerned that is was to a new unit. Even though R410a is a near zeotropic blend, it's still a blend. He really should have recovered, leak tested with nitro, repaired and evacuated before setting it back to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmo View Post
    i've seen the stuff at Actrol but I only fix leaks the old fashioned way. You should really only use it when you really can't find the leak. Even though they claim it to be compatible, it still contaminates the oil.

Im concerned that is was to a new unit. Even though R410a is a near zeotropic blend, it's still a blend. He really should have recovered, leak tested with nitro, repaired and evacuated before setting it back to work.
    True

hello i have been in the trade for over 13 years never used the stuff and never will. as stated r410a is a blend, any loss of gas in a 400 range of gas is a blend and needs to be removed after a leak and discarded. as stated the system needed to be pressure tested with nitrogen at around 2000KPA for 24hours.. then properly evacuated and charged with new R410a. i would start to wonder after his current behaviour if he has even used the correct pipe and carried out the work properly..

Quote Originally Posted by davo_scuba View Post
    Any information would be appreciated.Davo
    This bloke is dodgy...
    Where did you find him? Is he artick licensed? Have you paid?

That spray on stuff was not around when I was in the trade. Does anyone have a link?

It's not spray on, it's a dump in goop that is pushed into the system, much like the "no more leaks" for tyres.

It dries as it's pushed out of the pipework.

I agree - have only ever used this nasty stuff once in a friends car - worked for a few days and compressor seized....

I have been installing splits for many years now and find it difficult to believe that a tradie can be so bone idle lazy as to not trace a leak on a simple split.... it's not rocket science people...

What worries me is that the "installer" has used this in a brand new unit. This will surely void any future warranty claims if and when (actually definitely WHEN) the compressor fails?

Quote Originally Posted by Timmo View Post
    It's not spray on, it's a dump in goop that is pushed into the system, much like the "no more leaks" for tyres.

It dries as it's pushed out of the pipework.
    Doesn't sound like something I would recommend then...

I wonder what the manufactorer of split systems think? Do companies accept this in their systems, and still honor warrenties?

Default thanks for all the response

guys
    Thanks for all your replys will try to get the bloke back round and discuss what we can do to rectify this situation, i really would like him to purge the pipes and correct the leak then refill with gas. (which is what he should do as we are see signs of poor cooling againg.(i will let you know how I go). one of those situations that you dread.
    cheers anyway even if it did start to go off topic !!!

Have moved everything to the Help-Mouse ate my fujitsu split system head aircon electronics thread, as this is davo_scuba's thread and it is not fair for him to have wade through the whole thread to find what is relevant to his problem.

DJ
    Super Moderator
    Woodworking Australia's
    WOODWORK FORUMS

Quote Originally Posted by rooster72 View Post
    I agree - have only ever used this nasty stuff once in a friends car - worked for a few days and compressor seized....

I have been installing splits for many years now and find it difficult to believe that a tradie can be so bone idle lazy as to not trace a leak on a simple split.... it's not rocket science people...
    I totally agree. There are four connections that he had to leak test/re-flare or tighten flare if leaking. If he didn't find a leak on one of his four connections, then it's a warranty problem and Panasonic should repair/replace the unit.

Quote Originally Posted by rooster72 View Post
    What worries me is that the "installer" has used this in a brand new unit. This will surely void any future warranty claims if and when (actually definitely WHEN) the compressor fails?
    I've never seen the stuff, but it's a few years since I was doing refirigeration work, but I would be rather concerned about this sort of thing being put into a split system. I replaced several reversing valves in heat pumps, the crap surely wouldn't do them any good, let alone the capillaries and the compressor. I'd highly doubt that manufacturers would honour any warranties with any sort of "stop leak" goop.

Though it does sound like it would be handy for that last ditch attempt at keeping something running for another month or two!
    Interested in fish and aquariums? Check out the Tassie Cichlid Scene:

Quote Originally Posted by Tas_Dean View Post

Though it does sound like it would be handy for that last ditch attempt at keeping something running for another month or two!
    Really handy for getting past the warrenty period

I'm sure the TX valve would love it also...

Quote Originally Posted by AV Elec View Post
    Really handy for getting past the warrenty period

I'm sure the TX valve would love it also...
    No Tx valve in a split, capillary tubing instead. But yes, I'm sure TX's would love goop.
    Interested in fish and aquariums? Check out the Tassie Cichlid Scene:

I'd guess that it would have been one of the super seal products, personally I have no experience with them.

you can find more info here on the applications/specs.

http://www.cliplight.com/hvacr/products.php?catID=27

Quote Originally Posted by Tas_Dean View Post
    No Tx valve in a split, capillary tubing instead. But yes, I'm sure TX's would love goop.
    Mostly EX valves in new units, capillaries in small constant speed splitties. especially with variable output compressors.

Also, we do not honour warranty on our equipment that has leak detection dye, leak lock (on HFC systems) and leak stop contamination.