Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default This is just too funny!!

I was looking for Surian on the web and drew up a mob called Pacific Timbers in QLD. Never heard of them before, but if you look at this and then look at my web page, there's something awfully familiar about the item they have on their webpage!!!!
    You never know..do you? Ha!!!

Regards,

Rob

It's not really the sort of compliment you want is it ?

Time for strongly worded "please explain" letter perhaps.

Sods. So much for asking permission. I guess everything else on their site is stolen too, you'd have to make that assumption.

that's way too cheaky!!

I would be emailing them straight away, who knows they might have paid someone to build their website and not even know the picture was stolen errr borrowed.

At least ask for credit and a link to your website....

joez

Console yourself by knowing that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
    TM

Whilst this isn't nice, I doubt that Rob can really do too much, as he doesn't seem to have any copyright stated on his website from the quick look I had.

Unless he has a statement similar to the one that is shown at the bottom of this page (scroll down now and look) and you'll see this on the bottom of every Woodwork Forum Page, he really doesn't have a hope in hell of getting them to remove the image.
    Cheers

DJ

ADMIN

Ok, I assumed incorrectly then. He does have a case.

To try to stop this happening and and remember I said try, he or those that don't want this happening, they should probably have something similar to what we have here on this board, it might make people think twice before pinching images
    Cheers

DJ

ADMIN

Hi all,
    This isn't the first time I've seen pictures of my stuff on the web. If you do an image search for some kind of furniture such as coffee tables, it's amazing what turns up. I've seen two of my coffee tables, a dining setting and a collector's cabinet all in various places. You could spend your life trying to sue the people involved and maybe make a good living out of it, but I was flattered that Pacific Timber thought my sideboard was a good example of Surian furniture. I will, however ask for a link back to my URL!!

Regards,

Rob

Yep, googled table images one day trying to find some ideas, sure enough here is not one but two of my tables
    Oh well, doesn't mater.
    Instagram: mark_aylward
    www.solidwoodfurniture.com.au

A good edge takes a little sweat!!

Quote Originally Posted by LGS View Post
    Hi all,
    This isn't the first time I've seen pictures of my stuff on the web. If you do an image search for some kind of furniture such as coffee tables, it's amazing what turns up. I've seen two of my coffee tables, a dining setting and a collector's cabinet all in various places. You could spend your life trying to sue the people involved and maybe make a good living out of it, but I was flattered that Pacific Timber thought my sideboard was a good example of Surian furniture. I will, however ask for a link back to my URL!!

Regards,

Rob

Rob

I think that is easily your best bet. I would suggest that it would result in the least heartache and you would get the link to your website. In fact I believe that it would give additional credibility to the timber company also to be linked with professional buyers of their product. The proverbial "win-win."

Sometimes, just because you are in the right the best option is not to pursue legal recourse. It's expensive for a start.

Regards
    Paul
    Bushmiller;

"Power tends to corrupt. Absolute power corrupts, absolutely!"

If you are happy to be associated with another website (or this company), then you should send an email requesting an acknowledge and link to your website. If you get a negative response or if you want nothing to do with them, then you can send them a Takedown Notice. I'm not sure of the exact process but it should be relatively painless and not involve lawyers as the procedure is part of the Digital Media Copyright Act (or some similar name).

As for copyright, Groggy has already pointed out that you don't need to indicate copyright ownership. There are always exceptions and variations but if you created an item and you took a photo you probably own the copyright. If your employee takes a photo for work purposes you usually own copyright in this case as well. If you commissioned someone to take the photo and/or build your website it depends on your contract. If a customer takes a photo, they probably own copyright (of that image).

Whatever the case, if someone uses your copyright material in any way, you need to ascert your rights and ownership. Tell them you know what they've done. Make sure they know you reserve the right to revoke any permision you have given (if circumstances change).

I agree a link back would be an honorable thing for Pac Timbers to do, but just a couple of questions out of interest. Was the furniture made for a client? Is the photo a picture of the final product in the client's possession? If so, if the client paid and it is in their possession is it the client or the maker who would be the copyright owner? Who took the photo?

If I were LGS, I'd probably be a bit more mercenary given the amounts of good timber he must use. Something along the lines of:

Dear Sirs/Madams/Scumbags/Pondscum etc

In return for using my photos of my work on your website, I think it would be fair to include an acknowledgement on your page and a massive special discount to me in order for me to continue using and showcasing your products. Ongoing supply of Free timber products would seal the deal (and probably be a tax deduction for you)!

Your unpaid employee and promotional asset
    Me
    "Come sit down beside me" I said to myself, and although it didn't make sense,
    I held my own hand as a small sign of trust, and together I sat on the fence.