There's a govt. rebate running until June that sounds too good to be true. Being from Sydney I qualify for a state rebate, a federal rebate, and REC carbon credits totalling $3,720 on a new 270 litre heat pump solar water heater that costs $3,595 from Quantum. So effectively, the govt. is giving me a water heater that could save me 65% of my hot water bill, and they're paying $125 towards its installation, although perhaps the rebate is limited to the cost of the heater :?. The rebate is the same if I install a solar panel system, or if it's a gas boosted solar system, then the rebate goes up to $4,200, but I haven't looked into the cost of those systems. Maximum rebates apply if you're replacing an existing electric storage system.

I certainly hope this is genuine. Go to hotwaterrebate.com.au, type in your postcode, find out your rebate, and download the application forms. I have, and I'm considering going gas here now for home heating as well. You get rebates from the gas company as well if you connect gas heaters and water heaters. :D I looked into that a short while ago, but decided against it, although I'm starting to I wish I hadn't just installed an expensive electric stove now. :(
I'll be ringing my plumber mate tomorrow for some advice on a gas connection, and solar/gas water heaters.

Read the full thread at RenovateForum.com...