Hi,

I have a pair of pumps that pump my storm water off my property into the road. They work OK but the fear of rain + loss of power (my garage has been flooded twice in 8 years) has made me investigate other options.

One plumber has quoted $10,000 to construct a gravity fed solution ie dig a trench from current pit on my property to the nature strip (10m) and from there angle it across neighbour's driveway (ie still on council property) to the kerb (another 10m). The fall is a bit tight and final gradient would be barely better than flat. My neighbour is happy to have me hack up his drive as he is about to redo it (hence this is the time for me to find a solution for my storm water!)

Another plumber has quoted $3,600 for the same idea. The trench would be about 1.5m at its deepest.

Both have said no council involvement is required. Is this true? Looking around the net I think I am supposed to get council approval, but assuming the dial-before-you dig info is accurate and the contractors take care not to cut any services, am I being silly to go along with the approach of "get it done and hope council doesn't notice"?

Tony

More...