Fellow Frustratees (& hopefully the odd Locksmith or two...)

I'm changing over the Lock on the enclosed-front-patio Door to one that has a more secure key, but the current Lock's Catch isn't quite compatible with the Tongue of the new Lock. So I'm going to have to somehow sink the new Lock's supplied Catch down into the "ribbing" of the extruded-aluminium Jamb.

The first photo below shows the current Catch (which is "captive" in the groove where it sits, but able to be slid out of the way...)

The second photo shows the proposed new Catch. It's obviously wider than the old one, but it's still going to have to sit down in the same narrow groove.

The third photo gives you an idea of the widths that I've got to work with when somehow digging out the aluminium ribbing to make way for the new Catch.

Attachment 75385 Attachment 75386 Attachment 75387

Now, if you have a bit of a think about the second photo, you can see that the 3rd aluminium Rib from the left will have to be cut out all the way down to the back face of the Jamb, while the little "Flanges" sticking out to the left off the next Rib to the right will have to be cut back to their parent Rib (leaving the Web of this Rib in place will allow the furry little "Weather Seal" on the other side of it to remain unbroken...)

As with most Idealistic Battlers , I'd like to keep the installation as neat as possible, so I'm wanting to avoid cutting all the way across to the said Ribs from the left side of the Jamb so that I don't cut through the other Ribs (which are there for a Sliding Insect Screen) along the way.

So the obvious question is: What Tool, and what Bit or Blade, to somehow Cut, Grind, or Mortice my way down into the confined little area in question...

Is there perhaps some sort of "Alligator" style Nibblers that are setup in the "levered" way that Bolt-Cutters are, so that I can get some real leverage on them to "bite" their way through the aluminium ribs. They'd have to have thin (as in height) jaws, though...

Many Thanks Gentlemen,
Batpig

Attached Thumbnails

Read and reply to the full thread at RenovateForum.com....