Default G'day fom Sydney

Hi,

I'm Ben from Sydney.

Moved here from bellingen for work, got married and bought a house. A few years back we decided to renovate the old place, and when we did we found that it was built out of really old and really hard wood. So we ended up ripping most of out to facilitate our renos. After many hours of contemplation i decided to put the old timber to good use (other than burning it to keep us warm) by going back to my childhood days by making something beautiful out of dirty old lumps of wood. Found this site during my research for ideas and methods which has helped alot.

So chears everyone for your help already and happy woodworking to you all.

Thumbs up

G'day WoeJoe and welcome to our cubby with all its addictions and other wonderful things.

Must have been a blow to shift away from Bellingen.Beautiful valley. I grew up in Bowraville and never really appreciated it until I left.

Yes it was very hard to move to move away, but i get to go back up regularly.

I was wondering if someone could help me with a cheap second hand thicknesser as the only way i have to make things flat is a milling machine that i have at work. So if you are wanting to offload your old one, i'm in need of one.

Welcome Ben.

I grew up in Kempsey.

You'll have a lot of fun in this madhouse...

BTW whereabouts in Sydney are you.

It's amazing how many people you run into down in sydney from up that way. Probably helps when the company i work for is called Bellinger Instruments.

I am living in Riverstone at the moment till i make my fortune so i can by some land back up that way.

Hi WoeJoe good to have more Sydney fellows on here.

It is a beautiful area up there except for the rain, flood's and flie's.

Of course there is plentiful timber to be had a wide choice only thing is it's not here in Sydney where you are.

Riverstone eh not far from a good supplier of tools and timber Trend Timbers, Windsor Woodies or the Men Shed out that way.

Now if you have been hanging round you got to know there are some hidden rules the biggest being show us what you did with that old timber bragging doesn't work here well it does sometimes.

Ray

Yes we had a great supply of timber up there. For example, friends of mine had a farm up there and i used to help replace their old fence posts, which under closer inspection all turned out to be rosewood. There was hundreds of these things over the years that they just piled up to rot away. So being a helpful and entrepreneurial person that i am i took them away free of charge and sold them to a local supplier. Helped pay for my first car.

When i finish a piece i will gladley show off my works, but at the moment i'm having troubles with finishing off what i have started as i always tend to find new and exciting things to make. 24hrs in a day is just not long enough.

Well Hi Ben from Sydney and welcome aboard. You are not far from my old stomping ground where I lived . Quakers Hill.
    Reality is no background music.
    Cheers John

Welcome WoeJoe. You say you want a second hand thicknesser. Maybe if you put your request into a post in the Market Place - tools section - someone may notice it. Access by clicking Market Place in the left hand side bar of this forum.

Welcome to the forum.

I can relate a little when it comes to making something and getting distracted. I had to clean up the garage before more stuff (Junk) came in. On the day I had a friend help with the clean up and I told him why. He just walked away.

Yeah he came back.