Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Spherical Turning Attachment

On a recent visit to a friend's workshop I was shown this beautifully designed and fabricated attachment. Fortunately I had my camera with me.

It was the handiwork of a local craftsman, the late Phil Thomas and the subject of an article in Model Engineers' Workshop Nov/Dec 1994 issue number 26. Made for a Myford.

BT
    Last edited by Anorak Bob; 3rd January 2012 at 10:58 PM. Reason: Wrong issue number. Now corrected.

Hi BT,
    Strange you should come up with this. I decided a couple of weeks ago that I didn't have enough half finished jobs laying around so have started on one of these. Its certainly different to any of the others I came across while looking online. I'm not sure I fully understand it either,

Stuart

I think the horizontal screw is a fine radius adjustment, used to put on the cut between passes. Right Bob?

Yes Bryan.

What are the round things in the 5th picture for? Just quick setup of certain diameters?

Stuart

Nice looking tool , I have drawings for a similar design ,I got off a fellow on UK Ebay .
    I'm currently working on another design which involves dovetail slides and a base that fits into the top slide mount of the Myford lathe. Other things have jumped the queue ( shaper ) and the project has slowed some what .

Those are collets for holding one end of a finished ball handle in the three jaw chuck .Notice the slot opposite the cut out this is placed in the chuck and when the chuck is tightened it clamps down on to the ball
    The cut out allows the handle to be rotated (lifted up and back ) so one end of the handle sits between two jaws back against the chuck so you can machine a flat and drill and tap the large ball .IIRC this gives around a 15 deg angle to the handle when fitted on to a threaded stud
    The others (straight pieces )with reduced diameters possibly have a cone machined into the face and can be placed in a live centre ,one ball end of the handle fits into the cone and gives support to the non chuck end of the ball handle .The other end is held in a collet in the chuck and then the tapered shaft is machined

Hope I haven't confused anyone.
    I know what I mean .

Kev
    "Outside of a dog a book is man's best friend ,inside a dog it's too dark to read"
    Groucho Marx

Setting guides for the various ball diameters required on a Quorn I imagine. The cup shaped thingos in the last couple of photos are for holding the ball and shaft in a lathe chuck while drilling the ball. Chaddock mentions their use in his Quorn book, George Thomas goes into far more detail in his Model Engineers Workshop Manual.

I've been dreaming about making a ball turner for ages. There is certainly a plethora of designs around. Of course one of my favourites is Swiss. I wonder why this one didn't sell! Schaublin , Kugeldrehapparat , 102 - VM Drehbank | eBay

One of the blokes on a Euro machine forum I participate in infrequently has one, reckons the worm drive is great but would prefer the 1940's version below.

BT
    Last edited by Anorak Bob; 3rd January 2012 at 10:13 PM. Reason: Kev's quicker off the mark than me!!

Kev's drawing shows the protective cover plate that fits over the cross slide to prevent scraping. Phil had made one.

BT

Quote Originally Posted by Anorak Bob View Post
    . I wonder why this one didn't sell! Schaublin , Kugeldrehapparat , 102 - VM Drehbank | eBay.

BT
    No idea? (0 beindingen) (actually, did you notice the position of the decimal point on the price... )

A ball turner is something, I've been thinking about also, haven't yet seen a design that I like and could make without disrupting too many other projects.

Regards
    Ray

Quote Originally Posted by RayG View Post
    No idea? (0 beindingen) (actually, did you notice the position of the decimal point on the price... )

A ball turner is something, I've been thinking about also, haven't yet seen a design that I like and could make without disrupting too many other projects.

Regards
    Ray
    I've half a one I started , using a boring head , even machined an extra hole in the boring head so the adjuster was at the top when fitted in the tool post .
    Then I realised that the whole thing was going to be too big for the Myford ,unless I removed the top slide and mounted the ball turner in a bloc on the cross slide.
    This an over the top design .
    I may continue with this one as well as you can't have too many ball turners.
    The third pic is the one I'm going to attempt.

Kev.
    "Outside of a dog a book is man's best friend ,inside a dog it's too dark to read"
    Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by RayG View Post

Regards
    Ray

I hadn't. A bit of double Dutch.

I reckon if I had embarked on a ball turner project over this break I would have been a bit more productive.

Kev,

Do you have any more details of the turner in photo 3?

Bob.

I'm still not getting it all. A few more hours of looking at the pictures and reading the post should get it.

I've also got a half built one which if it works shouldnt be that hard to make(of course it may well be useless). I'm not sure how suitable it will be if exact size balls are requires.

Stuart

Quote Originally Posted by Anorak Bob View Post
    I hadn't. A bit of double Dutch.

I reckon if I had embarked on a ball turner project over this break I would have been a bit more productive.

Kev,

Do you have any more details of the turner in photo 3?

Bob.
    Bob ,
    Its a design of Jerry Howells ( deceased ) , but his family is still running his website and selling his plans .
    Initially I was going to make it from this photo and from a picture on his website ,but then I thought I would purchase the drawings , that way I can get a look at any features that aren't apparent in the pictures,including postage the drawings cost 17.00US ,not a lot of money and it will help to keep his website going. They should be here late this week or early next .
    He was a prolific small engine builder and model engineer. Also has a nice little pillar drill design as well. I may end up ordering the drawings for that as well .
    Ive been looking for one of those Waldown sensitive bench drills that have the high speeds for along time and can't seem to track one down so a pillar drill project might be the way to go

Link to his website
    Jerry E. Howell - Model Project Plans & Kits Home Page

Kev.
    Groucho Marx

Thanks Kev.

The owner of the ball turner has a beautiful George Thomas universal pillar tool / drill that he made. I marvel at the workmanship each time I see it. I have the same set of castings, sitting unstarted in a box that stare at me every time I enter the shed. Maybe I should just hide them.

Joe Hovel has the Waldown you desire. Lean on him, he might sell it.

Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodlee View Post
    Ive been looking for one of those Waldown sensitive bench drills that have the high speeds for along time and can't seem to track one down so a pillar drill project might be the way to go
    Hi Kev,

I have a little TOYO MD drill for PCB work, 8000 and 12000 rpm, not as nifty as Joe's Waldown Sensitive, but if you come across one of these TOYO's have a look at it, nice little drill.

Regards
    Ray