Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default It's Time for a New Welder. But what to get?

Well I think it's time for a new welder.

My trusty DUE MIG is about 20 years old now and has served me very well.

I've put a fan in it, double power point, replaced switches and years ago upgraded to a Binzel torch.

Machine is still working and I only use 0.6mm wire as that is all that it really runs comfortably.

I'm not sure weather to bite the bullet and get a high end portable MIG like a Kempii and have some faith I might have it in 20 years time.

But I also like the idea of the muli purpose machines MIG, TIG and Stick.

But then I see compromises with the TIG side of things being either scratch or lift. Would much rather HF. But on the same token I haven't done a lot of TIG but I'm sure if I had a TIG I'd do a lot more!

Stick function is hand for heavy work and ability to use stainless rods and low hydrogen rods. I'm a competent stick welder.

Once you start talking TIG you have to think AC/DC. Then it gets complicated because you then need two welders. The TIG/STICK and an separate MIG welder.

I have yet to find an AC/DC TIG/Stick/MIG. Probably well beyond my price if it existed.

The CIG Weld 175i seems good on paper.

I'm really just thinking out loud. So many options and products available.

Cheers

Justin

Hi Justin, went through the same thoughts as you a year or two back and ended up buying a separate TIG AC/DC machine, It's an Everlast 250EX and has been going well so far despite all the negative debate on Made in China welders.
    I also bought a Kempi MIG which is magic and I just love to use. I can use stick in either machine and both are great in that regard, the Kemppi should be better but I haven't used that process much since buying it, just the MIG. Scratch start DC only TIG seems a bit limiting and not much interest to me because I need them for Ally work and AC works better for me.
    I still have my old machines CIG and WIA which I still use occasionally but seem harder to get good results with them so it's usually because iI need to do something small and quickly and don't want to change the torch or gas over.

so yeah, one of each and as good as your budget allows would be my preference

I got a Kemmpi 2300 Mastertig with the pulse panel 2 years ago for $4400 and it is very nice to use but yes, a few $ tied up in one machine.
    How about pulsed MIG with a spool gun as an option, though most likely nothing under $6000 in those and I think only 3 phase also.
    woodworm.

Obviously it's a marketing video but if I could do welds like that on stainless I'd be mighty happy:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiYTewsBaLA&feature=youtube_gdata_player]KEMPPI minarcmig 180 WELD - YouTube[/ame]

I really like the Kemppi graphical user interface. I can see lots of benefit to being able to adjust the amount of weld.

Cheers

Justin

ESAB Caddy 200i looks good too:

Esab Caddy Mig C200i inverter - All Welding & Engineering Supplies

Cheers

Justin

Well today I bit the bullet and splurged. (thankful for my Xmas bonus that helped cover some of the cost)

I went the Kemppi MiniarcMig 180.

Got a matching Kemppi electronic welding visor as well.

I'll hopefully get it running on the weekend. First job might be to build a new welding trolley.

Cheers

Justin

Great stuff. How much and will it take a spool gun or a push-pull? How much did you pay for the auto helmet?
    woodworm.

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorWu View Post
    Great stuff. How much and will it take a spool gun or a push-pull? How much did you pay for the auto helmet?
    All up including the helmet, reg, spare tips 0.8 and 0.6 a smidge over $2,000

The helmet was a bit of a luxury impulse buy actually. I normally research like a man possessed but I saw the Kemppi helmet and thought its about time i get an auto helmet! (being the 21st century and all)

Helmet was $300 and its made in Finland too.

Cheers

Justin

Congrats Justin, I am sure you will be thrilled with both the machine and your new helmet.
    Already have a couple of decent helmets but been jones'n over one of those MIGs for a while, they look great and from all reports are..

Quote Originally Posted by johncar View Post
    Congrats Justin, I am sure you will be thrilled with both the machine and your new helmet.
    Already have a couple of decent helmets but been jones'n over one of those MIGs for a while, they look great and from all reports are..
    Well I had the wife's support for the purchase so that helped too!

I did have a serious look at the CIG 175i and wanted to look at the ESAB 200i but they didn't have any in stock.

When it came down to it my old MIG paid for itself 100's of times over and I thought being a bit selfish I have been welding for 20 years now I think I deserve a serious machine.

Hopefully this weekend I'll do a test run. (I had my appendix out on Xmas day so still not 100% back to normal)

I'm already designing my new welding trolley and I think that will be one of the first projects.

Cheers

Justin

Sorry to hear about the appendix, hope that is all healing up well. It sounds like you were meant to get the Kemppi.
    A welding trolley for it is a great first project and I have built a few. Mine have pretty much been your typical trolleys you see around and I never though much about it until I saw one built by a chap I bought my boat from. He built it out of ally tube and sheet and the welder sits nice and high, like close to head height and the face of the machine is angled downwards so as to help gravity feed the wire, a few shelves underneath and all of his gear, grinders, tools, clamps, welding apparel all nice an neat. My next one will be like that.
    Dont have a good pic of it by itself but you should get the idea seeing it in the background of the boat pic. It sits on a swivel too which is handy.

Quote Originally Posted by johncar View Post
    Sorry to hear about the appendix, hope that is all healing up well. It sounds like you were meant to get the Kemppi.
    A welding trolley for it is a great first project and I have built a few. Mine have pretty much been your typical trolleys you see around and I never though much about it until I saw one built by a chap I bought my boat from. He built it out of ally tube and sheet and the welder sits nice and high, like close to head height and the face of the machine is angled downwards so as to help gravity feed the wire, a few shelves underneath and all of his gear, grinders, tools, clamps, welding apparel all nice an neat. My next one will be like that.
    Dont have a good pic of it by itself but you should get the idea seeing it in the background of the boat pic. It sits on a swivel too which is handy.

Funny you should mention that!

Sketch I did last night mounted the MIG at least 500mm off the ground and underneath there will be lots of tool storage. Almost thinking about some tool chest draws.

I'm also going use some decent sized caster wheels so I can wheel it around easier and even off site on grass, gravel etc.

I won't mount it too high because when working on cars you need it more on the low side. Current MIG sits about 60mm off the ground on a trolley (also 20 years old) and it's just too low. Especially when welding on the work bench.

Cheers

Justin

Yeah mine have been around that 500 - 600mm to the base of the machine. I do a bit of Ally work and the odd bit on my boat so the extra height would be good and having the ally wire feeding downhill helps to avoid jam ups. So horses for courses. Now you should post a pic of your trolley when you have it finished

I might be getting ahead of myself but I'm seriously contemplating making the trolley out of stainless.

Sheers

Justin

Quote Originally Posted by Jarh73 View Post
    I might be getting ahead of myself but I'm seriously contemplating making the trolley out of stainless.

Sheers

Justin
    Yeah well why not, probably good to set it up and get some practice on and settings on what you want to weld. looking at the trolley down the track may be a reminder of the good and bad