Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Glossy Red Gum Finishes

Hi,
    I’ve just finished turning a potpourri holder out of red gum as a Christmas gift. Aside from the evident dents from it spinning out of my hand when I parted it (very frustrating), it looks ok. However what I’m a little disappointed with the finish. I used Danish Oil. And aside from giving it to many coats and it came up quite dark, it also had no gloss at all. I sanded to wet sanded to 1000 grit, but I think that the particular piece that I was turning was just to porous. Does anyone have any recommendations for future turning? I have used wax before, and while getting a wonderful gloss it does need to be reapplied every few months.

Any wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Which danish oil? Oils ain't oils you know!

I don't really like glossy finishes. So I quite like just the danish oil. Some silly questions though! At which grit did you apply the oil and then start burnishing? I only sand to 320 # then let it dry for a bit then apply more and then go up the grits so the finish is burnished. (I only go to 500 or 600# or so though. Cos I am slack. ) I quite like the satin luster. I use Rustins Danish oil! Have also used Organoil hard burnishing oil, which is a bit more matte! But I still like it!

Have tried using Ubeat's shellawax on red gum and it goes on a bit weird if you use EEE as well. It doesn't sink it very well. Could be just me though!

Haven't tried other finishes. Although has used sprayed laquor at work. That looks OK! Not sure how you could apply that with just a home set up. Think it is available in expensive spray cans at real paint shops.
    anne-maria.
    T
    ea Lady

(White with none)
    Follow my little workshop/gallery on facebook. things of clay and wood.

Rustins Plastic Coating

Default DGI Country Oil maybe

I find DGI country oil works well on small pieces of dry redgum eg wood carvings, I just wipe on wipe off evry 48hrs for about a fortnight and it builds up a clear tough [semi gloss] urethane finish. Its not cheap though, $40/litre.

These were sanded to 600, then waxed with Ubeaut's cedar wax. They have a hard, shiny surface, and when they get dull, a quick buff with a soft towel brings the shine back. Not all redgum is the same, go for the very old, dry, heavy pieces. The denser the material, the better the finish.
    Banksia pod turning: Lamps | Goblet tealights | Winged bowl

Quote Originally Posted by sjm View Post
    These were sanded to 600, then waxed with Ubeaut's cedar wax. They have a hard, shiny surface, and when they get dull, a quick buff with a soft towel brings the shine back. Not all redgum is the same, go for the very old, dry, heavy pieces. The denser the material, the better the finish.
    They look great, that is exactly the look I'm after. Will have a hunt for the cedar wax, and for some denser redgum. Thanks to everyone the replied I'll be looking into all of your suggestions.