Default fixing a big hole in oregon table top

hi all, haven't been on here for a while, hope everyone is well...

figured this category would be appropriate for my question as it's related to the finishing off , of a table...

i have a recycled Oregon table i made, a rough hole turned up in the top after a bit of waste was removed in the leveling of the top, it's about 2in long and 3/4 in wide, kind of oval, it was a bolt hole, pretty round and nothing i was worried about but when the table top was finished the hole showed some of it's ugliness. i filled it with black tinted filler as well as all the other old nail and bolt holes, which looks fine and contrasts with the Oregon, but this hole being so big just looks damn ugly...

so, would someone have aany ideas on how to get rid of this filled in hole, cover it up or something, i was thinking of trying to get a shaving off the top and then glue a shaving in it's place or something to completely hide it...

open to suggestions here...

La H
    Hurry, slowly

heres some pics...
    Hurry, slowly

Thumbs down Table top hole

I would suggest gittng an offcut of the oregon you used that is well and truly large enough to cover th hole - even large enough to lap over onto the next board.
    Cut the scrap to a suitable shape- say a bowtie a butterfly, a dog bone.
    Cut a hole in the top to the same shape. Make sure the fit is snug but not too tight.
    You might be better to leave some met in the tabletop hole for the patch to sit on.
    Glue up and finish.
    A thought Put the patch cross grained compared to the table top grain.
    Good luck.

I would suggest faking a natural knot hole, take out the filler and re fill with tinted bog, tint to the lightest original timber then carefully paint woody looking grain ( to match the oregon)
    you will need a steady hand and brushes with only 3-4 hairs,
    play around on somthing else first,
    either that or refill with a filler a bit darker than whats there and solid colour not translucent.

Astrid

Default Another Option you might want to consider..

Cut out the defect with a utilty razor knive, sand inside and edges of defect.

I sugesst you use an "epoxy putty stick" these filler make excellent repairs, they are easy to use, they cure very fast, and do not strink, they can be colored with dry pigmented powders.

Good Luck

I reckon it looks fantastic.

There are already a number of defects on the other end of the table. As it is made from recycled Oregon so why not leaving it the way it is. It doesn't matter what you do, the defect will not disappear completely. If you can't hide it, you highlight it.

It is a beautiful table and you've done a great job. I just think you worry too much.
    Visit my website at www.myFineWoodWork.com

I agree with Wongo. In the overall picture of the table it doesn't look out of place to me, after all it is a "recycled" oregon table.
    Nice job, you should be pleased with yourself.

What Wongo said. But i like Astrid's idea as well.
    Those were the droids I was looking for.
    https://autoblastgates.com.au

I may have been seeing things, but the original post had another picture of the problem hole.
    it was a big very ugly one.
    normally i too would treat a defect as a feature, but this one looked bad and in a bad spot.
    It also looked badly filled and just drew the eye to it.
    what happened to the pic?

Astrid

Its back again!
    The grain is nice and even shouldnt be too hard to Faux grain a filled bit

PS It is a VERY nice table