Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast

Default Toowoomba, water recycleing

Well did you all have the guts to vote yes?
    Time will tell.
    I should imagine this is the way forward of all water use in Australia.
    Im sure the recycled stuff would be a lot purer than most fresh water available around the planet.

If it happened in your area, would you vote yes?

Al

Hey, Al The NO vote is going to win approx 60-40 (vote count here)

A huge part of it is not only the dislike to drinking recycled , but the sheer arrogance of the mayor saying "if you don't like it buy bottled water or leave town".

It may well be the way of the future but there are way too many unanswered questions for me.
    Have a nice day - Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Wood Butcher
    Hey, Al The NO vote is going to win!!!

A huge part of it is not only the dislike to drinking recycled , but the sheer arrogance of the mayor saying "if you don't like it buy bottled water or leave town".

It may well be the way of the future but there are way too many unanswered questions for me.
    Did they give out samples for youse to try?

Like it or not all fesh water on the planet is recycled in one form or another.

Al

but the sheer arrogance of the mayor saying "if you don't like it buy bottled water or leave town".

Not trying to funny but I think the mayor is right, unless there is a big dam building scheme, owhh and of course it rains a lot more.

I can see most places around Oz doing this in the near future.

Al

Yeah,most booths had someone handing out water. The reason I think the no vote will win, is that this decision locks us into recycling, which wouldn't come online till 2013 ( I think?). What we need is water now. There are other options available in the short term that apparently are viable but the council have ignored them.

It was interesting seeing some of the info that independant no campaigners published only in the last few weeks. The reason it was left till last is unlike the council who set aside $485,000 for the yes promotion, the no argument (who the council gave only $5000, which they gave back in protest) and depending on public donations for funding.
    Have a nice day - Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by ozwinner
    Not trying to funny but I think the mayor is right, unless there is a big dam building scheme, owhh and of course it rains a lot more.

I can see most places around Oz doing this in the near future.

Al
    I think it will be the norm soon. Peter Beattie said SE QLD could be doing it within 3 years but Toowoomba would have to wait till 2013 - Why??:confused:
    Have a nice day - Cheers

but Toowoomba would have to wait till 2013 - Why??:confused:
    'cause its a country town, all country towns come last on the list yah know that.

Al

Peter Beattie also said whatever Toowoomba voted would determine the future for Queensland.

The whole thing is a big stupid beatup. Yes, I know it is distasteful ( ), but as Oz has already pointed out, all the water we drink is recycled currently.

Show me a catchment in Australia that doesn't run through somewhere an animal hasn't pooed, or a fish or bird hasn't shat in.

It's just a case of recovering less water from the mix.

I can never understand why anyone bothers getting an education, when decisions on which they have a good deal of expertise are left to those who haven't read any more than a couple of political brochures, or listen to talkback radio, yet that is how all planning is done in this country.

I think I'll move to Hutt River Provence where I can surely live like a King!

Cheers,

P

If Toowoomba votes no its odds on that the water price will go up to reduce usage
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

As far as I see it one town takes the water from the stream, treats it, drinks it, disposes of it, treats it, and then puts it back into the stream ...... the next town follows the same procedure as the first.

The water isn't being treated at the wastewater treatment plant and then being re-pumped directly into the water supply, it is being put back into the reservoir and treated again before drinking.

The places that I have visited overseas do not recommend the drinking of the water from the tap ...... this reused water in Australia will reach a standard higher than many other countries.

Its a great fear campaign to say that you are drinking pee ...... unfortunately there are too many who are quick to jump on a bandwagon without doing a little research.

There was an excellent series on SBS a few years ago - Water the drop of life ..... this was well worth a viewing if you can get hold of it, certainly an eye opener. The companion book however was a let down compared to the tv but still a good read.

If I had the option of drinking recycled water I would say yes.
    Now proudly sponsored by Binford Tools. Be sure to check out the Binford 6100 - available now at any good tool retailer.

Well Beattie thinks the sun shines out of his bum so why shouldnt we drink water from his.........:eek:

Now, now Lignum (It is true though isn't it!)

As I said it probably is the way of the future, but it won't solve the water shortage in the mean time. At this rate we will run out of water long time before the sytem is online!
    Have a nice day - Cheers

What a bummer. Toowoomba's a great place, but the conservative element is still strong there. It's be the last place I'd try to get a referendum through with a Labor Government in power. Especially with a strong, straight talking, progressive woman in Di Thorley up against Clive Berghoffer, an ultra conservative multi-millionaire who still has the first dollar he earned.

But Beattie's a smart politician, so this may well be part of a larger plan. Watch this space ....

Quote Originally Posted by bitingmidge
    ...... Hutt River Provence where I can surely live like a King!

Cheers,

P
    If that's the Hutt River Valley in NZ where I was born, (it's the only Hutt River I know) then Yes Midge, you would indeed live like a King.

Cheers
    Wendy

Unfortunately the No vote has prevailed. A lot of scare-mongering , but I didn't really expect otherwise...Toowoomba is indeed a conservative town. We didn't get a chance to vote on the issue, as we're in the next shire, BUT we still rely on Toowoomba's water supply, as does most of Crows Nest (Highfields, Cabarlah, Hampton etc):confused:. Whatever decision they make, we live with, so I'm pretty annoyed about it.
    I think the best way forward is to bring on line a range of supply options, and look at the recycling one again later. I'm sure it will be OK'd if it goes elsewhere instead of the drinking tap, like gardens or industry.

Cheers,
    Andy Mac
    Change is inevitable, growth is optional.