Default Decking on concrete, which deck direction?

Hi all.

I am new here. Quick introduction - I am from Sydney. I am an electrician/fridgy, but found my calling when I entered the audio visual installation industry 5 years ago. I really enjoy AV work, and have done some great projects over the years. If I can be of assistance, please feel free to message me.. I gave up A/C 5 years ago, and don't really have the tools, but still remember some of the knowledge...

I have been searching like crazy to get the info for my deck. I think I have sourced most info, and am awaiting delivery of the Deck and Pergola book.

I plan to build a deck off my concrete veranda approx 4.5 metres X 3.5 metres. The concrete veranda is 1200 deep, with a slight fall away from the house. I plan to lay the deck on battens on the veranda, a ledger attached to the house, and then galvonised post supports, etc. The battens on the veranda will be approx 60mm high, with approx 20mm decking.

The opposite side of the deck to the house will run at an angle of approx 35 degrees. I am in bushfire area, so will be using hardwood, and 5mm decking gaps.

Hopefully this isn't confusing - I don't have any drawings yet. I am looking for a CAD prog...

If the decking boards run perpandicular to the house:
    Advantages - I can have a joist running at the required 35 degree angle to finish the decking boards nicely at the other side.
    Negative - The battens on the concrete veranda will pool waterbehind the battens, causing issues.

If the decking runs parellel to the house:
    Advantages - water will drain away easily off the veranda. I could even use a gernie if necessary to clean.
    Disadvantages - With the other side at 35degrees, I won't have a joist along the edge to finish the decking boards.

There will be a roof on the deck which meets the house.

Although the highest point of the deck is below 900mm, I need an enclosed hand rail all around the edge for kids in the future.

I would appreciate any help. I can't really go further with the design, untill I decide which way I will run the decking boards.

gday moonos

running the floorboards along the longest dimension will be the most economical. since both your sizes are about the same, then it is much of a muchness.

you can always run a trimming joist along the front of your other joists, and use that to finish the end off nicely. good idea to have a slight fall away from the house for drainage; not sure what you mean by the 35-degrees thing - can you do a piccy up in paint or word and post?

i have read on this site that using the gernie will tear the fibres of the top of the floorboards, which will result in faster wear and splintering, which might not be so good for the chidlins. there are a bunch of posts on cleaning the deck and there are some members here who do deck restorations for a living, and have many years of experience in cleaning decks and bringing them up nice - they can (and have) given much advice on this matter...

r's brynk
    "Man got the opposable thumb - woman got four opposable fingers." - Rowdy

Why don't you lay the decking the easier way for you, but lif the joists 5mm off the concrete with building packers.

PS as for cad programs try googling free TurboCad , thats what I have and it's ok for small jobs.
    If you dont play it, it's not an instrument!

Thanks guys.

Yeah, I think running a 10mm fall away from the house, over the 3500mm to assist in drainage might be beneficial. Would the fall be noticed?

Building packers to lift the joists off the concrete sounds like a great idea. If the joists were approx 60mm high, and 50mm wide hardwood, what spacing would I need if I used 10mm high packers?

you wouldn't even notice a 25mm fall over that distance
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

Quote Originally Posted by moonos View Post
    Thanks guys.

Yeah, I think running a 10mm fall away from the house, over the 3500mm to assist in drainage might be beneficial. Would the fall be noticed?

Building packers to lift the joists off the concrete sounds like a great idea. If the joists were approx 60mm high, and 50mm wide hardwood, what spacing would I need if I used 10mm high packers?

I have no- idea what spacing you should have, but surely for the cost of a packer you could go every 500mm? In my uneducated wisdom that sounds like a good figure?
    If you dont play it, it's not an instrument!

Thanks people. Hopefully I will be fine now.

I will post pictures, but considering I still need council approval, that won't be for a while yet.