Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default new hardware chain

i think its called masters or something like that.
    i had a look the other day i was very impressed.
    i like good quality hand tools and had been looking at markets ect
    to find a 32mm Stahlwille combo spanner. ive all ready picked up 41mm 46mm
    and a few smaller ringys. after looking for a while i thought id look on line
    there is a ebay store that wanted around $90 delivered.and i was thinking of going thrue him. I was very surpised to see the masters shop in melb stocked Stahlwille spanners
    and were selling a 32mm for $54. or course i grabbed it. plus a few other odds and ends. like cans of treflex for$10. they have a great range of hand tools. for example i would think maybe 2o different tin snips. i regret not getting a few different cold chisels that were German made and around $`10.
    any way" wurth" a look.

A very interesting read on Masters Hardware. It's owned by Woolworths and Lowes from the US.
    Expectations revised as Woolies rethinks hardware
    Warning Disclaimer

crowie is offline Life's Good, Enjoy each new day & try to encourage

Here's the Master Home Improvements Store website
    Welcome to Masters | Masters Home Improvement

Looks impressive.

It'll be interesting to see how long they last with the better tools, and if they switch back to the cheaper crap like Bunnings sells. People these days seem to expect quality for nothing

Stahlwille are great tools. Good prices on the Masters catalogue for what they do list.

I don't shop at Bunnings because of the poor quality crap they sell at prices that aren't nearly as low as the claim along with their cynical price guarantee.

I am very pleased that there is going to be competition in the big box niche, and more so given the news that Masters is going to carry better lines of tools.
    It's all part of the service here at The House of Pain™

you know when i picked up one of there cold chisels it was light and sharp i think light because its made of an good alloy steel. it wasn't dear either around $10. a set of chisles and punches around $80.
    not much more than what say tti would be but twice the quality
    even there cheap stuff seemed of a better standard than others.

From the comments you blokes in Victoria are saying; I can't wait for the NSW stores to start opening......I do hope they keep a quality focus as few have said!!!!

Interwood is offline Support your kids ... buy Australian made

Default Cant wait for one in WA.

Nearest store to me is just around the corner ....
    Braybrook (2709.7km away)

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Q View Post
    I don't shop at Bunnings because of the poor quality crap they sell at prices that aren't nearly as low as the claim along with their cynical price guarantee.

I am very pleased that there is going to be competition in the big box niche, and more so given the news that Masters is going to carry better lines of tools.
    It's amazing how many people getting sucked in by companies who continually quack on about being the cheapest, irrespective of whether or not they are, until the punters believe it!

I begrudgingly shop at Bunnings and can't wait to get out of there each time!

Pete

Interwood, you don't need to worry one is comming that is a lot closer Mt Gambier in a couple of months. (Don't ask me why they chose Mt Gambier for the first one in SA)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete F View Post
    It's amazing how many people getting sucked in by companies who continually quack on about being the cheapest, irrespective of whether or not they are, until the punters believe it!

I begrudgingly shop at Bunnings and can't wait to get out of there each time!

Pete
    With that said, there are a few items that Bunnings genuinely have good prices on - for example, a mate is looking to buy a Kinchrome roll cab, and Bunnings are the cheapest he can find anywhere (including trade specials!) by nearly $100.

Same goes for Abbot and Ashby 8 inch bench grinders - I still can't work out whether they are a cheaper line specially for Bunnings, or whether they are actually exactly the same model as everyone else is selling, but Bunnings have (or at least had for a long time) them for $149, while anywhere else they're $200+...

However, I definitely agree most of their 'cheap' crap is far too expensive. The entertainment value when you overhear a customer asking a storeperson a question about a product is often priceless though!

C: "What sanding disc should I use to sand my timber deck?"
    S: *reading packet* "Well, this one is for paint....." *another packet* "This one's for metal..."

Default Quality Issues??

I've heard it said by some in the tool trade that the product [tools] especially made for distrubition through Bunnings are made to a price and not the same quality tools in the Trade Stores that LOOK SIMILAR.

+1. Just for kicks have a look at Bunning's price guarantee. It states they'll beat other prices by 10% ON THE SAME ITEM. They get around this by having unique "Bunnings Only" model numbers on their stuff. A trick they learned from Walmart & Home Depot in the states. (Over there you never buy a name brand item from HD as it will be #####.

I take it as a given that an object bought at Bunnings may only resemble a better quality item sold elsewhere.

Suppliers are at their mercy owing to their volume. And the general level of ignorance of the average punter.

The only power tool I have purchased their in ten years was with a cynical observation to my wife that it might last a year. In fact I plugged it in and had a handfull of smoke instantly. A new personal best.
    It's all part of the service here at The House of Pain™

definately need to swing by for a look sounds promising

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Q View Post
    The only power tool I have purchased their in ten years was with a cynical observation to my wife that it might last a year. In fact I plugged it in and had a handfull of smoke instantly. A new personal best.
    I'm not a big bunnies fan and not that big of a power tool user but I have to say I have had a surprisingly good run from power tools purchased at their store.

This is the list of power tools I have bought from them in the last 33 years.

B&D 3/8 mains powered drill (1978) still going strong
    B&D 7.2V 1/2: battery powered drill (1983) Dead & buried
    B&D 150 mm RAS (1984) dead & buried
    Makita 9" Circ Saw (1992)
    115 mm Ozito angle Grinder, (2000)
    150 mm Ozito RAS (2002)
    Ozito Jack hammer (2002)
    Ozito biscuit cutter (2002)
    Bosh planer (2003)
    Bosch mains powered 1/2" drill (2005)
    B&D firestorm battery powered drills (2005) batteries replaced in 2009
    Triton Jigsaw (2005)
    Makita 4" Belt Sander (2006)
    Triton 1/2" router (2007)
    Triton 1/2" Battery powered drill (2007) battery replaced in 2010
    B&D Firestorm battery powered drill ( 2008)
    Bosch battery powered drill (2009)
    1/4" Triton Router (2010) - on the specials table
    2 dremels (2004, 2009)
    2 5" Bosch angle grinders (2010, 2011)

None of these power tools are what I would premium quality tools but the only one I have had a problem with is the Ozito biscuit cutter where some of the bits and pieces have broken or fell off but it still does basic biscuit cuts OK. The Ozito grinder has been thrashed and is still going strong. The Ozito jack hammer has earned its $69 price tag multiple times. Not a single smoker amongst them.